8 year old 10550 - Worth trying to repair?

easman61

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Goldpro series with 6.5 hp duraforce engine has worked great for 8 years. Today, my son tells me, that it made a loud clanking noise and stopped. It was very hard to pull the rope but it finally did pull. It sounds very funny and won't start. Is this worth trying to repair given the age? I mow 6/10 of an acre of thick Bermuda grass at least every 6 days in the summer. If not worth repairing, I would think the no rust aluminum deck would be worth at least something on Craigslist. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The aluminum light weight, durable mowers are very agile and always good to hang on to...

Open it up, check what's damaged.... repair or replace the engine... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first thing I'd check is the recoil starter. It could make a noise like that. I hope it's not the engine -- the Dura-Force engines have a very good reputation so I'd be surprised if it's something serious.

Last week I bought a 1994 Lawn-Boy 10415 which I believe has the same series engine. The engine seems fine although the rest of the mower has a "well-used" look. :biggrin:

LB-10415-1.jpg

Fireman 123

Threads
I hope he wasn't using straight gas... I'd investigate further. Take it apart to make sure nothing catastrophic has occurred. If you find it's beyond repair, part it out on eBay, not craigslist. Your items will bring more, and will be shown to a coast to coast audience, if you don't mind dealing with shipping.
On the other hand, if you decide to make repairs to get it running again, visit www.lawnboy.com. Enter your model and serial #'s to look up diagrams and parts lists. I've found that parts from eBay, and suppliers other than Lawn Boy are cheaper. Good luck :)

easman61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lawn Mower repair place that has serviced it great for 8 years said not worth fixing when I described what happened. Given the aluminum deck - what would this be worth to someone wanting to repair it? It has been stored always inside and will clean up and look great.
Thanks.