8 hp tecumseh valve clearence issue

jmart88

Threads
First time joining a forum great to be here ok heres my headache I have a 8 hp tecumseh motor on a craftsman snow blower wasnt running so I did a carb rebuilt which ive done many times to simalar engines everything went well now it starts runs great for 2 minutes thrn backfires I directed my attention to the head gasket and spark plug after that I found my valves intake and exoust are out ....the exoust clearence from stem to valve lifter is .011 and intake is .012 ive done some reserch and found that the intake should be at .008 is this correct ??? If so what would be the steps for closeing that small gap!? The exoust valve could be filed down to achive the correct clearence but im some what stumped on the steps to close the gap if thrres to much ! New lifter? Valve seat re drilled pleas3 help !!!!!!!!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
We need the model number off of your engine to find the correct specs, but I think you have other problems, maybe a loose valve seat or something else.

Approximately how old is the blower?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Grind your valve seats and valves down. this will give you less stem clearance. That gap shouldn't give you a running problem. That is only .004.

jmart88

Threads
The model number is hmsk80 155558u

jmart88

Threads
Correction exoust is at .010

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can't see a valve clearance problem here. Check the lifters and cam.

jmart88

Threads
When I examine lifters and cam do I just make sure there operating properly not bent????... any thing else to look at ?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I examine lifters and cam do I just make sure there operating properly not bent????... any thing else to look at ?

First of all is this a flat or L head engine. I am guessing it is. The lifters and cam shaft can't bend but they can wear out. To check this make sure they are getting a full lift. I really don't know this number but I hope someone else can tell you or if you can get a service manual it will tell you. If it is a OHV engine it could have a bent push rod. Seeing jmart88 gave you the right valve clearance maybe he also has the valve lift???

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tecumseh Engine Intake and Exhaust Valve Clearances

Like I said, I think your problem lies elsewhere, acceptable range for your engine is between .008 and .012.

About how old is the engine? If you were to start it up right now, describe in detail what it is doing, and when it stops, what happens when you immediately try to restart?

jmart88

Threads
The engine is aprox 14 years old it is not a ohv if I put the hlast thing it did before I started takeing off the head and valve cover was it would start fine run smooth for 30 secs then rev very high backfire a few times then die everything that point towards running lean ..... maybe I should check carb sgain if valves are correctly adjusted .... I will also say I put new spark plug in and fly wheel key seems stuck on shaft not bent or crscked but stuck .... thanks for the help so far this is great!