8 HP tecumseh chipper, replaced Carb, Fuel line, spark plug, it has spark, but STILL won,t start

greenhouseguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 8 HP tecumseh chipper, replaced Carb, Fuel line, spark plug, it has spark, but STILL won,t start
What else could there be?? I poured gas into the cylinder and best I could get out of it was a backfire no start and run partially and die .... nothing!

upupandaway

Threads
  • / 8 HP tecumseh chipper, replaced Carb, Fuel line, spark plug, it has spark, but STILL won,t start
"best I could get out of it was a backfire" That may be your problem. Take off the cylinder head and see if the valve(s) are closing. At Top dead center with both valves closed, try to turn the valve. if it easily turns, the valve is stuck open. If so, remove the valve, check the gap,grind down the valve gap down to spec as needed.

greenhouseguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
"best I could get out of it was a backfire" That may be your problem. Take off the cylinder head and see if the valve(s) are closing. At Top dead center with both valves closed, try to turn the valve. if it easily turns, the valve is stuck open. If so, remove the valve, check the gap,grind down the valve gap down to spec as needed.
OK at least I have something to try, I figured i would have to go deeper, now any tips to where I get the engine specs?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You will need the model number, if it's a tecumseh flat head, it's usually stamped onto some sheet metal by the spark plug

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Had anybody checked the flywheel key to see if it is sheared. Wrong timing from sheared key will cause issues also.