Export thread

7 point socket? What is it?

rickpaulos

rickpaulos

uneven spacing between the 7 points.
interior width is about 7/8"
3/4" hex rear end, not for a 4 sided ratchet fitting.
inherited from an auto mechanic's estate.

IMG_2417 by rickpaulos, on Flickr

IMG_2420 by rickpaulos, on Flickr

R

Rivets

Looks to me like a socket which is part of an older style set for removing rounded over hex nuts and bolts.

reynoldston

reynoldston

A sending unit socket.

Ric

Ric

uneven spacing between the 7 points.
interior width is about 7/8"
3/4" hex rear end, not for a 4 sided ratchet fitting.
inherited from an auto mechanic's estate.

It's not really a socket but then again it is, it's a socket for a High Security wheel lock set or system for a car or truck. You get one socket with that pattern for a set of five lug-nuts that matches that pattern for your car, keeps your wheels from being stolen.

Gorilla Automotive 71481NB5 - Gorilla High Security Wheel Lock Set in Chrome for Jeep® Vehicles - Quadratec

rickpaulos

rickpaulos

Eureka! You got it Ric. Thanks.

I wonder if the one "key' fits all the company's lug nuts or if they have different patterns so 1 key won't fit all.

So somewhere is a Jeep without the lug nut key. Good luck if you got a flat. Ultimately, the guys at the scrap yard won't have any trouble cutting them off with a torch. Or weld a regular nut on for removal. Or hammer an slightly undersized socket on.

Z

zmister11

Eureka! You got it Ric. Thanks.

I wonder if the one "key' fits all the company's lug nuts or if they have different patterns so 1 key won't fit all.

So somewhere is a Jeep without the lug nut key. Good luck if you got a flat. Ultimately, the guys at the scrap yard won't have any trouble cutting them off with a torch. Or weld a regular nut on for removal. Or hammer an slightly undersized socket on.

When I used to have nice rims on my other truck, I had the locking lug nuts and lost the key also. It's not fun lol. I had to take my truck to the mechanic so they can bust them off.

Ric

Ric

When I used to have nice rims on my other truck, I had the locking lug nuts and lost the key also. It's not fun lol. I had to take my truck to the mechanic so they can bust them off.

I used to run the things years ago when I had the the two Mustang GT's. I found they were more of a pain than what they were worth but where I was living at the time I guess they served a purpose. Today with the insurance you get for tires and rims when you buy your vehicle I figure why bother.

Z

zmister11

I used to run the things years ago when I had the the two Mustang GT's. I found they were more of a pain than what they were worth but where I was living at the time I guess they served a purpose. Today with the insurance you get for tires and rims when you buy your vehicle I figure why bother.

Yeah I won't ever use those locks again. Lol. Too much of a hassle. What years were your mustangs?

Ric

Ric

Yeah I won't ever use those locks again. Lol. Too much of a hassle. What years were your mustangs?

I had a 1982 and a 1983, I drove the 82 and the wife drove the 83. Both the 302 HO. I also had a 1993 Corvette but I hated that car, it was a pain getting in and out of.

Z

zmister11

I had a 1982 and a 1983, I drove the 82 and the wife drove the 83. Both the 302 HO. I also had a 1993 Corvette but I hated that car, it was a pain getting in and out of.

That's pretty cool! There nice cars. My dads trying to buy a 1978 trans am t top. Their just hard to find.

Ric

Ric

That's pretty cool! There nice cars. My dads trying to buy a 1978 trans am t top. Their just hard to find.

The 82 had a sun roof and the 1983 was a T Top so was the corvette.

M

mechanic mark

Looks like a special lug nut socket for vehicle or truck, anti-theft.

M

Mower manic

12.jpgdc5b50fb-f49d-48dc-8313-0e2b931ea623Larger.jpg

B

bertsmobile1

Being cheap we used to weld a washer over the top of the nut so a socket would not fit over then use a crows foot to remove the wheel nuts.
Stops you doing them up too tight as well.