4hp briggs carb problem

hotrod351

Threads
picked up older troy built roto tiller with a old 4hp briggs, model 095212. wouldnt start, well seeing as the pickup tube was broken off that didnt help. put a new pickup tube in and cleaned out the carb, i found that the screw in jet on the side was completely clogged up in the center so i used a small wire to get the stuff out. now it starts and runs great but then quits unless i put my hand over the choke. im thinking the passage way must be clogged but how do i clean it out, i sprayed brake cleaner and blew it out but it still does the same thing, i also had noticed a spark from where the muffler bolts on when it was running. i checked the wires and didnt see anything touching so i sanded the flywheel, had a lot of rust, and that seem to stop it. but still the carb problem, like i said like its running out of gas.

hotrod351

Threads
i already replaced the diaphragm gasket. man thats a great link for detailed instructions of completely rebuilding, and cleaning, it out. have to do it. kinda of a shame its like new. im going to have to figure out how to remove some of those parts, like the main jet in the bottom pickup tube. again thanks ill be saving this link.

hotrod351

Threads
he shows the welch plug at the end of the tube has been removed. but doesnt say how to remove it.

briggs

Threads
i already replaced the diaphragm gasket. man thats a great link for detailed instructions of completely rebuilding, and cleaning, it out. have to do it. kinda of a shame its like new. im going to have to figure out how to remove some of those parts, like the main jet in the bottom pickup tube. again thanks ill be saving this link.

no prob i saved it to lol.... i use compressed air but before i blow it out i soak the carb in a 50/50 mix of high test gas and sea foam i let it sit for a few hrs then blow it out 120 PSI make sure u get every hole cleared out i also use a needle and a wire to clear out the jet holes as i don't have a ultrasonic cleaner yet

briggs

Threads

it just pulls out its pressed in be-careful not to brake it tho pull it straight out

hotrod351

Threads
ok but how do you pull it out, where do you hook to.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 9.48.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 9.48.21 PM.png
    295.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 9.48.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 9.48.55 PM.png
    314.9 KB · Views: 10

briggs

Threads
ok but how do you pull it out, where do you hook to.

sorry i should have Explained it better ...Blow out the jets u can remove the the plastic tube with screen in it just slide the clip and pull it off as for the jets they can be a real pain to get out at times Brass chips easy ..I use a long wire and blast them out with air after i soak the carb for a few hrs in my mix of gas and sea-foam

hotrod351

Threads
great, cleaned it again and its perfect, starts right up and runs great. thanks for the link. gave me incentive to go back out and clean it out really good. now i have to figure out the governor linkage and spring. i tell you if you saw this machine youd say it had been used maybe once. what a shame for what this guy did to it. he broke off the plastic pickup tube inside the gas tank and bent the hell out of the linkage and spring that connects to the governor under the pull rope/ shroud. i at least have it set to work but that might be something i need to buy to make sure its the right length and has the right bends.

briggs

Threads
great, cleaned it again and its perfect, starts right up and runs great. thanks for the link. gave me incentive to go back out and clean it out really good. now i have to figure out the governor linkage and spring. i tell you if you saw this machine youd say it had been used maybe once. what a shame for what this guy did to it. he broke off the plastic pickup tube inside the gas tank and bent the hell out of the linkage and spring that connects to the governor under the pull rope/ shroud. i at least have it set to work but that might be something i need to buy to make sure its the right length and has the right bends.

Glad u got it going it feels great eh lol......As for the link your welcome i have tons of them i can post my shop computer has tons of them bookmarked lol ....To bad the guy mangled it u can bend it back into shape or get a new one its up to u any more probs drop me a line if i can help i will cheers :thumbsup: