42A707 motor 18.5 HP no spark

HiTekRedNeck

Threads
Hello,
I have a hair pulling no spark situation. Motor turns fast enough, so I assume this should be sparking.

1-Replaced magneto, It was a little different but should have worked.
2-pulled flywheel to check stator and wiring
3-unplugged kill wire at magneto still no start
4-checked all grounds and switches, which I believe wont even allow starter to turn if theres a problem.
5-Air gap is .012

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hello,
I have a hair pulling no spark situation. Motor turns fast enough, so I assume this should be sparking.

1-Replaced magneto, It was a little different but should have worked.
No it won't work, There is a chip in there that controls the spark and very few of them are the same.
2-pulled flywheel to check stator and wiring
Stator has nothing to do with the spark the spark is self generated by the external module. If the 2 are ever connected the coil will have been destroyed.
3-unplugged kill wire at magneto still no start
Should have been the first thing you did. Check the wire to ensure there is never voltage to the coil wires. It is very sensitive even some cheap multi meters can destroy them
4-checked all grounds and switches, which I believe wont even allow starter to turn if theres a problem.
5-Air gap is .012

good luck

Threads
I agree with Bert The coil may be fried...... Get the right one and try it without the BLACK kill wire hooked up..

Yes checking with a volt meter can do damage ~!~!

Let Us Know Mon Ami ~!~!

Tinkerer200

Threads
You are mounting the coil correctly, some are not marked which side is up. And if you are getting an after market, and sounds like you are, it may not be good. Plug wires typically exit coil heading towards the back of engine then double back under coil and come out pug - carb side of engine.

Walt Conner

Threads
I'm gonna post one more on here.. Either he got it going or ???

The kill wire spade plug on the COIL always goes down towards the engine block.......

HiTekRedNeck

Threads
another new coil, new plugs, kill wire off. coil has "this side out" and "cyl side" so I installed accordingly. She wont start on starter spray, and I cant see spark. Damn sure felt it when I decided to hold the plug wire though.
it may be shotgun time

HiTekRedNeck

Threads
You are mounting the coil correctly, some are not marked which side is up. And if you are getting an after market, and sounds like you are, it may not be good. Plug wires typically exit coil heading towards the back of engine then double back under coil and come out pug - carb side of engine.

Walt Conner

new coil installed with wires pointed back, turning back to the front into plugs

HiTekRedNeck

Threads
It will backfire now, flywheel key still intact. coil ground good

HiTekRedNeck

Threads
Crazy question, should the flywheel and or magnet be grounded? they both have ground to battery.