42" Riding Mower without the K46 Transaxle?

portamenti

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does such a unicorn exist? I was all but sold on an X350 from Deere, but I keep reading negative things about the K46. This will be my first mower, but I want to make it last... I'm worried that the D100 series won't last/aren't good value because they're made to compete with other box store models.

So what should I get then? The first Deere without the K46 is outside of my price range (4000 CAD/3000 USD).

Anyone have any suggestions on what mower I should be seeking out? I have .75 of an acre of relatively flat land to mow. Few obstacles at this point in time.

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Now are you mowing 0.75 acres or is the property 0.75 acres before you deduct the house, shed, pool, garden etc etc.

IF you are a healthy person then a good walk behind might be a better option unless you want to push snow, till , suck leaves etc.
42" for 3/4 acre might end up being a bit big.
Will you be able to mow the entire lawn with that sized deck ?

Remember you will gain a lot more time by replacing trimming using a walk behind with riding than will by using a big deck.

BoylermanCT

Threads
I have a Craftsman 46" with a K46 and it has 7 years and 500 hours on it, and is still going strong. I have mild hills on my 5 acres, and a few steep ones too. Since your lot is small and flat, I don't think you will have a problem with the K46. While some people have had problems with them, they have put hundreds of thousands of them in service in every tractor imaginable. There is no other transmission that has this kind of volume.

portamenti

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you very much for the replies!

The property is 1.3 acres total, in a trapezoid shape. About .4 is trees and then subtract the house and driveway, so I estimated about .75.

I'm 32, in good shape, but have a toddler, and a busy work life, so I want to get the mowing done efficiently!

The mower will be a gift, so I was told to spare no expense. On the other hand, my inlaws are downsizing, and have a Toro Recycler with 7.25hp walk behind that they're going to let go for 200. Maybe I should start with that and see.

I'm not planning on tons of tow-behind work. There's not really any obstacles on the property at the moment, but eventually I'll have a decent veggie garden growing.

Last night I got looking at the smaller Toro ZTRs; I like them because they have a towing mode, as opposed to many others I looked at. I also stumbled on a local dealer selling Husqvarna tractors, which seen very nice for the money.

The K46 worries me less then. I'm happy to know it's working in many more tractors of the sample size.

I'm going to find a Cub Cadet dealer today, and go sit on some more. This is much more of process than I thought it would be!

BoylermanCT

Threads
If time spent mowing is your concern, definitely go with a zero turn. I made the mistake of buying a riding mower for my 5 acres. I just replaced it with a zero turn and cut my mowing time in half. The zero turn also solves your K46 issue since the use different drives. Go with a zero turn so you'll have more time for other things!

portamenti

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been all over town to different dealers for the last 3 days... I think I'm leaning towards the Husqvarna YT42DXLS.

Anything I should be aware of before pulling the trigger?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is not much of a difference in the various price brackets between the brands.
So finding a dealer with a good reputation will serve you well if you are not mechanically apt.
If you intend to do your own servicing look for easy access to things like the oil filter and oil drain, a blower cover that you can get a spannar onto to remove.
A fast mower with a smaller deck will work a lot better for you than a slower mower with a bigger deck.

The outlaws toro sounds like an excellent idea for a year or two till you know your yard.

With a small mowing area manouverability and speed on a ride on is most important.
With walk behinds deck width & engine size are critical as you won't want to be jogging behind the mower or waiting endlessly for the engine to recover speed in long grass.

neetan

Threads
I had a JD L110 for 14 years. Now all I heard was the issues with the K46, now I just sold it with the Wineeeing just starting. Now a friend across the field has one, he can only drive for an hour before he has to stop or is it stops till it cools down.
May I suggest at the age of 30 something you have a long life to enjoy the pease and time alone on the unit. Go and look at a Zero turn, make sure it has a minimum ZT 3100 this way you will go for 25+ years with no issues. I have 2 acres that took me near 5 hr. with the JD and now with my new Hustler Fastback SD, just under 2 with a smile on my face!!

You will never regret buying Quality..... :thumbs:

Good luck

Last edited:

portamenti

Forum Newbie
Threads
So after getting back to the property, and talking with some local dealers, I'm leaning towards a Zero turn.

I understand all the limitations of the 2200 transmission; I'm not going to be pulling, and have a very flat piece of property, so I'm not really that concerned.

I'm torn between the Cub Cadet RZT 46 KH FAB: Fab'd deck and a 23 hp Kohler for 3500 from a good mom & pop dealer 15 mins from home, but it's sat out in the rain all season on their lot...

http://www.cubcadet.ca/equipment/en/cubcadetcanada/zero-turn-riding-mowers/rzt-riders/rzt-l46-kh-fab-rzt-l46-kh-fabricated-1

or a Husqvarna Z242F: Fab'd deck again, but a Briggs Endurance engine at 22hp. This is almost 3900 from another dealer about 25 mins from home.

http://www.husqvarna.com/ca/en/products/zero-turn-mowers/z242f/#specifications

Is the endurance motor worth a 400 upcharge? I'm new to mowers... so I don't have any brand allegiance. I'm ready to hear your opinions!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Even thought I do not like the newer Cubs it looks like a better deal. Let other chime in as well.