30 & 20 year old Scag 3 wheel mowers

gary mopar

Forum Newbie
Threads
They just keep on ticking. I have had fantastic service with these mowers. The 1983 is a SR-18-B Tractor with Sm61 cutter deck and 18 hp Briggs. It has had 1 engine change , another Briggs 18hp. Just blades and belts is all its ever needed. I liked it so much that I bought another in 1993. We have 50 acres and keep about 8 acres mowed. We also have a dam that approaches 30 degrees. Scag 1.jpg With all the weight in front it is very secure up , down and sideways is no big deal. love my Scags.
The 83 model is due for new engine swap , so i need your opinion as to which engine series , not over $1000.00. I'm thinking 20 or 22 Hp. Thanks for your input

noma

Threads
Hi gary mopar

Welcome aboard here. Glad to hear you got one of those old depend ables mow, it's hard to find one of those any more. I think i would go with a new 22 hp engine ,i think the new motors are labeled with less horse power then the engine you have on your mower now. The extra hp can't hurt , it's nice to have the extra hp when you need it all of a sudden. Hope to hear how this is working out for you and witch motor you finally chose.:licking::licking::laughing: