26HP Kohler Blows Black Smoke and Runs Like Crap

jgray1978

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2012 Husqvarna LGT 2654 that I bought a few months ago with 22.4 hours on the clock. It seemed to run fine and being that unused I did not test it real hard. Anyway, the problem that I have is that it bogs down and starts blowing black smoke. Sometimes it's while mowing grass that is a little on the tall side and sometimes it just starts bogging down and smoking for no reason. I have to stop and wait for it to get over it's chugging and shaking before I can continue.

A friend told me that these motors can have issues with the fuel pump pushing too much fuel so I installed a ball valve on the vacuum line going from the crank case to the fuel pump. That seems to be of no help. If I turn it off, the carb runs out of fuel and it stalls (as I would expect). If it's open just a little, the mower runs like crap.

Also...This mower sucks gas like there is no tomorrow so it is obviously running rich.

Help!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say the first thing check the air filter, gas filter, and choke. Filters are cheap replace them. From there I would say a carburetor problem. Never heard of a check valve in the fuel pump vacuum line? I have seen check valves on the fuel pick up line.

Mikel1

Threads
Is it still under warranty?

jgray1978

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would say the first thing check the air filter, gas filter, and choke. Filters are cheap replace them. From there I would say a carburetor problem. Never heard of a check valve in the fuel pump vacuum line? I have seen check valves on the fuel pick up line.

Well, the guy that I bought it from said that he had just replaced the air filter and judging by it's looks, I find that to be true.

Can a fuel filter problem cause the engine to get too much fuel?

I don't know what to check with the choke. If I pull he choke knob, it assists in starting and once running will stall is I pull it. That is how I would expect it to properly respond.

Mikel1

Threads
I assumed no since it's 2 years old.
I believe Kohler carries a 2 year warranty on the Courage line for residential use. So if it was purchased in July, August of 2012 it would still be under warranty. Not sure if it's transferable though.

jgray1978

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe Kohler carries a 2 year warranty on the Courage line for residential use. So if it was purchased in July, August of 2012 it would still be under warranty. Not sure if it's transferable though.

I have the original manuals, spare key, etc... But no original receipt.

On an extra note, this thing is running so rich that when I just shut it off, it back fired three times out the exhaust.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, the guy that I bought it from said that he had just replaced the air filter and judging by it's looks, I find that to be true.

Can a fuel filter problem cause the engine to get too much fuel?

I don't know what to check with the choke. If I pull he choke knob, it assists in starting and once running will stall is I pull it. That is how I would expect it to properly respond.

I am just giving you some starting points. If they are OK so be it. Dose the choke open all the way? Next thing I would do is take the carburetor apart. Looking for dirt, Check float level, replace needle valve, any vacuum leaks, loose parts, missing parts. Never had a fuel pump on a garden tractor with too much pressure, not saying it can't happen. I would say check the fuel pump pressure? The float and needle valve regulates that. Dose the carburetor look like its ever been apart before?

jgray1978

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I pulled the carb. Choke does open fully. Pulled bowl off and pulled float with needle valve. Everything looked clean. Blew out with compressor anyway. Still runs like crap.

Help!

jgray1978

Forum Newbie
Threads
Side note: If I remove the hood, bungie a propane tank to the front, disconnect the vacuum line to the fuel pump, and pipe propane in the intake, it runs strong!