24hp Kohler Hard to Start When Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweeds

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2018 model Kohler 24hp V-twin in a Cub Cadet XT1 that I've owned since new. It's a mower in the summer and gets a snow blade for winter use. It's always been hard to start when it's cold (<45 degrees), and I have to use starting fluid if it gets much below 40 deg. F. It lives in an unconditioned shed and is on at battery tender year-round.

I have the engine manual that came with it, but it's pretty vague. They evidently don't want owners messing with their machinery. Can anyone here help me out with some adjustments to improve cold starting? Thanks in advance.
Never use starting fluid it drys out any lubricants in the cylinder use carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner spray. Oil 5w 30 in winter. Other info about the choke is correct.

Tumbleweeds

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another suggestion, switch to the ethanol free gas for the winter use. Fires much easier. It's more pricey, so reg gas for the summer would work.
Hard to come by in some places. Try mid grade.

Gord Baker

Threads
After checking Choke setting, replace spark plugs. Use fresh fuel.

Tbone0106

Threads
The advice to use non-ethanol gas in the winter (actually year-round) is good. You can find the nearest source at www.pure-gas.org. If there's a marina near you with a fueling dock, that's a very good place to find it.

Ethanol does absolutely nothing good for your engine, winter or summer. Among its many drawbacks (lower energy content, for instance) ethanol is hydrophilic, which is a fancy way of saying that it attracts water. I shouldn't have to explain that attracting water into your fuel system ain't a good idea.

Switching to a multi-vis motor oil is also a good idea. And I would suggest a careful setting of the valve lash in the fall as part of your regular winter prep maintenance. If the lash is off just a couple thousandths, it can disable the partial compression-release system that is built into these engines, making starting MUCH more difficult in any weather.

DCCBill

Forum Newbie
Threads
good thread - - here's a trick -- next time if you take off the breather air intake and the choke plate isn't closed properly you can quickly determine if that's the problem by cupping your hand over the mouth of the carb intake and starting it - - if it starts immediately you are confirming it likely was the failure of the choke plate to be closed -- i also wanted to echo the earlier comments about using ethanol free gas.... plus of course using STABIL and/or SeaFoam as additives --i actually put it in empty gas can before i go to fill them -- that way i have it in the cans to prevent moisture and other fuel problems during storage - its also likely some of us use less gas during winter to move snow than we do mowing so gas sits longer unused?????? Also want to echo about using proper oil -- eg: 5w-30 during winter --which as stated earlier wrong oil viscosity can make starting more difficult.......i have older '80 Kohler twin 17 so i am actually starting to switch to Kohler brand oil that includes the ZDDP zinc phosphorus additive which is healthier for older Kohlers

Attachments

• wh 1983  C175 Series 1.jpg
    wh 1983 C175 Series 1.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 2

Tbone0106

Threads
good thread - - here's a trick -- next time if you take off the breather air intake and the choke plate isn't closed properly you can quickly determine if that's the problem by cupping your hand over the mouth of the carb intake and starting it - - if it starts immediately you are confirming it likely was the failure of the choke plate to be closed -- i also wanted to echo the earlier comments about using ethanol free gas.... plus of course using STABIL and/or SeaFoam as additives --i actually put it in empty gas can before i go to fill them -- that way i have it in the cans to prevent moisture and other fuel problems during storage - its also likely some of us use less gas during winter to move snow than we do mowing so gas sits longer unused?????? Also want to echo about using proper oil -- eg: 5w-30 during winter --which as stated earlier wrong oil viscosity can make starting more difficult.......i have older '80 Kohler twin 17 so i am actually starting to switch to Kohler brand oil that includes the ZDDP zinc phosphorus additive which is healthier for older Kohlers

Fuel stabilizers don't really counteract the shortcomings of ethanol gas. The best thing to put in the tank is GASOLINE, pure and simple. That's because the engines, especially the older ones, were engineered to run on GASOLINE, pure and simple.

I see that you just joined the forum, and I'll offer a hearty welcome! But I also note that you joined on December 18, 2022 -- which is TOMORROW. Now that is a pretty neat trick! Perhaps one of the moderators here can explain how you did this little time-travel thing.

skiman

Threads
same here with similar issues with both briggs and kohlers in need of choke flap fully closing from time to time...

cantdw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Damn! Back to the drawing board. I'll take another look and probably undo what I've already done. Thanks again, fellas.
Not to beat a dead horse, but Rivets is right on the money. Better never to try a short cut on a mower, in heavy traffic or elsewhere in life, since lack of patience and ignoring intended design will inevitably bite you in arse. I have the marks to prove it!

cantdw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fuel stabilizers don't really counteract the shortcomings of ethanol gas. The best thing to put in the tank is GASOLINE, pure and simple. That's because the engines, especially the older ones, were engineered to run on GASOLINE, pure and simple.

I see that you just joined the forum, and I'll offer a hearty welcome! But I also note that you joined on December 18, 2022 -- which is TOMORROW. Now that is a pretty neat trick! Perhaps one of the moderators here can explain how you did this little time-travel thing.
TBone, when you look out at the celestial heavens and think, WOW!, I must be the only one who can see the beauty of the night sky, think again. Its yesterday, today and tomorrow all the time - it just depends on where you are on the Earth and your point of view. Happy Holidays!

Tbone0106

Threads
TBone, when you look out at the celestial heavens and think, WOW!, I must be the only one who can see the beauty of the night sky, think again. Its yesterday, today and tomorrow all the time - it just depends on where you are on the Earth and your point of view. Happy Holidays!
Nicely said. The night sky is truly a wonder, but so is the world when the sun shines. My favorite hymn of all is "How Great Thou Art." A quick review of those lyrics will tell you how I feel each and every time I step outside.

My "seasonal" greeting will never change. It is always "MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.