2135 cub cadet lawn mower

swalley

Forum Newbie
Threads
machine cranks runs fine for about 15 minutes then quits will crank back after short cool off period

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
machine cranks runs fine for about 15 minutes then quits will crank back after short cool off period

First thing when it goes to **** down take gas cap off could be the vent is clogged.

Second as soon as it shuts off see if you have spark. I bet you don't When a coil is going bad it will short it self out when engine get hot then goes back to working when it cools off.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

packardv8

Threads
FWIW, it's a PITA to get to the coil; practically requires disassembling the middle of the mower. If I ever have to do mine again, I'm cutting the fan shroud in half and then reattaching it with tabs Anyone know a shortcut I didn't see to get the coil in and out?

What made it worse is there was nothing wrong with the coil other than rust and dirt. After I cleaned the surface of the flywheel and the coil surface and adjusted the gap, it's been running fine for five years now.

I see more problems on Cubs from corroded and dirty wiring connections than from failed components. Just yesterday, mowing along and the mower deck belt drive clutch disengages and won't re-engage. Several years ago, I had to toss the original deck on-off switch because it was always causing problems, having to be replaced every couple of years. I rewired that circuit and a weatherproof switch with fewer wires, so I just traced them and it was the wire from the original ignition switch to the new deck switch which had gotten a bit corroded at the ignition switch. Easy fix, but not one every owner would have been able to do.

jack vines