20x12x10 high grp tires?

ukrkoz

Threads
I bought larger ZTR that came with Turfmaster 20x12x10 tires. Those tires have NO grp on grass. And I have hills and valleys a plenty. So I either have to go and turn very slowly, what kills purpose of having expensive fast mower or, I need high grip drive tires. I tossed set of mud tires on my 18Hp Craftsman and they do great.
I can find plenty of 20x11x10 ATV tires with all kinds of lugs but none of 12 width. Pisses me off, they always have to use some real odd rims on mowers ....

Anyhow. I even do not mind it being a bit taller but even with that, can't find 12 width unless it's really tall, and I don't want that.

Suggestions appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can fit 10 11 or 12 " wide tyres on 12" rims
The worry is the rim diameter.
Just so long as they are the same no problems once you get them to seal against the rim.

ukrkoz

Threads
Ok, so how exactly do I fit a 11 inch wide at the setting bead tire onto a 12 inch rim? Tire shop refuses to do them, says they are too narrow. Diameter is same, 10 inch, but rim is 12 inch at sealing area and tire is 11?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, so how exactly do I fit a 11 inch wide at the setting bead tire onto a 12 inch rim? Tire shop refuses to do them, says they are too narrow. Diameter is same, 10 inch, but rim is 12 inch at sealing area and tire is 11?

Same way as you fit a new tyre that is squashed to a funny shape.
put the tyre on the rim , support the tyre clear of the ground, lube the top bead and push down hard on the rim to get one bead in place.
remove the valve core so you can use a duster gun to inflate the tyre
Flip the tyre over and wabble the rim up & down to try and get the second bead to touch while applying air through the valve body.

method 2

Start as per above but put a strap around the tread.
Tighten the strap to force the side walls out then inflate as per above.
Remove strap & if the beads stay put replace valve core & inflate as normal.

Method 3

Put a tube in the tyre and inflate till the beads are seperated by well more than 12 "".
Leave in the sun for couple of days.
Sometimes the tyre will then mount as normal

Method 4

Explosion.
Start as per method 1
put some flamiable liquid in the tyre, open end up,
With a flame on the end of a long stick, hold it near the open bead till the fluid ignites

Watch ewe tube videos on this method a few times to see how it is done
Remember fire safety, chance of stuff flying everywhere ( eye protection ) and being burned , thus the long stick.

I have used all methods, they all work, some will work better with some tyres than others.

ukrkoz

Threads
Got it. Spread it. Either way. Hopefully with only 1 inch diff it will overlap far enough onto the rim.
I have 96 gall compressor, it should blow it even with a gentle touch.
Thank you. I have sights on set of Bazookas 20x11x10 that should work.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
ATV tyres have a stiffer side wall than mower tyres so they are a bit harder to fit

Only ever had to resort to the explosive fit one and it took me about 10 trys to get it to work but managed to fit the tyres with eyebrows intact but I did not see the ( fraidy ) cat for a week.
DO not make a loop around the tyre to squash out the side walls with a piece of rope held in your hands unless you enjoy rope burn :ashamed:
And once it has seated on the rims, deflate to remove the strap.
I use a ratchet tie down.
I tried it with a cleat strap but could not get the cleat to release.
Good luck

Tyre shop can not do it because of insurance & public liability.
If the tyre rolls off the rim, you roll the mower & injure yourself they are liable if the tyre was too small for the rim.

ukrkoz

Threads
I'll be fine it's only half inch off per side. Got them ordered. Sedona Bazooka. I'll report results.