2022 Simplicity Regent or Broadmoor

bkeller500

Threads
Wow, great information. The one area I see that is mentioned more than a few times from user reviews is when mowing wet or longer grass the roller bar on the deck can get clogged fairly easy resulting in the bar not rolling but rather tearing your lawn?? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks, Ken
I have owned a Simplicity, Broadmoor, Conquest, Courier and now a Courier XT, all of them had the deck rollers for striping. Never once has any of them had a issue with collecting buildup on those rollers that eventually caused the rollers to skid or slide instead of rolling. Yes it can build up with very wet grass or if you mow in the rain, but the rollers have never been skidding or tearing the grass. I guess it could happen but in my experience ...never!
I have caught the roller on a root a few times and once had bent the shaft, but that was easily fixed. Simplicity has changed the way the decks are mounted. Previously they hooked on a front mounting block and the decks followed the tractors while riding on the rear deck rollers. They now suspend the decks via chains on some models and that takes the weight off that rear deck roller. It still rolls the grass over but now it's 1/2" -1" higher than the ground and isn't supposed to ride on the ground. Talk to you dealer and he can show you what I am referring to.

pegken

Threads
I have owned a Simplicity, Broadmoor, Conquest, Courier and now a Courier XT, all of them had the deck rollers for striping. Never once has any of them had a issue with collecting buildup on those rollers that eventually caused the rollers to skid or slide instead of rolling. Yes it can build up with very wet grass or if you mow in the rain, but the rollers have never been skidding or tearing the grass. I guess it could happen but in my experience ...never!
I have caught the roller on a root a few times and once had bent the shaft, but that was easily fixed. Simplicity has changed the way the decks are mounted. Previously they hooked on a front mounting block and the decks followed the tractors while riding on the rear deck rollers. They now suspend the decks via chains on some models and that takes the weight off that rear deck roller. It still rolls the grass over but now it's 1/2" -1" higher than the ground and isn't supposed to ride on the ground. Talk to you dealer and he can show you what I am referring to.
Bkeller500, many thanks for the information as it sure does ease my mind a bit. Being 68 ( in the tooth) I still plan on using my Honda push mower at certain times when conditions are favorable. Thinking mainly when it's cool temp's and no leaves to worry about. The Broadmoor 44 however sounds like it will be a welcome relief for me in the summer and fall when the heat, humidity and all the leaves can be a problem.

Thanks again, Ken

bkeller500

Threads
Bkeller500, many thanks for the information as it sure does ease my mind a bit. Being 68 ( in the tooth) I still plan on using my Honda push mower at certain times when conditions are favorable. Thinking mainly when it's cool temp's and no leaves to worry about. The Broadmoor 44 however sounds like it will be a welcome relief for me in the summer and fall when the heat, humidity and all the leaves can be a problem.

Thanks again, Ken
Before you pull the trigger ask your dealer about the Broadmoor 23/48". The 44" deck is a stamped deck and the 48" is the fabricated deck. The 44" may still be mounted the old way and the 48" Fabricated the new way.. I cannot tell from the web site. Not that they will mow your lawn much differently, but you should know the difference before you purchase and not after. Good luck to you. Enjoy!

pegken

Threads
I'll do that and ask about the differences between the 44" and 48" decks.

I was more inclined to get the stamped 44" deck however as I heard it isn't as heavy as the fab deck? I would like to be able to remove the deck each fall to clean it out underneath and to remove and sharpen the blades. So having a deck that weighs less would certainly make it a whole lot easier for me to handle and move around.

Thanks again, Ken

bkeller500

Threads
You are correct the 48" Fabricated deck is a beast. Very difficult to remove and slide around. I purchased a MoJack lift so I could Clean the deck, lubricate and change the blades without taking the deck off.

enigma-2

Threads
Bought a Regent new. Kept it two years and traded it in on a Broadmoor. Hated the Regent. Broadmoor is more than worth the extra money.

RayMcD

Threads
Looks like allot of money for a Briggs & Stratton engine?

pegken

Threads
Bought a Regent new. Kept it two years and traded it in on a Broadmoor. Hated the Regent. Broadmoor is more than worth the extra money.
enigma, what were the main reasons for the switch? I'm definitely leaning towards the 44 Broadmoor but the idea of a smaller mower like the Regent is appealing too.

enigma-2

Threads
Several areas.

First is the tires are too small, makes the chassis too close to the ground. This make it impossible to get the mowing deck off the ground completely. When going from driveway to grass, it gouges.

Also I part my tractor in a shed and use 2x8's as a ramp. This makes it d.r.a.g. up the ramp onto the shed floor.

Hated Simplicity for designing this pice of shit. Took it back to the selling dealer and he couldn't figure anything out. So he called Simplicity engineering. I was in the office when he called. They had no answer other that that's the way its supposed to be.

Hated the way the deck adjusted the cutting height. I literally had to get off the tractor to gain enough strength to crank the damn thing up.

Several other complaints with the Regent that I don't remember now.

The Broadmoor has bigger tire with more ground clearance and an electrical deck height motor. Deck comes completely off the ground, barely, but it doesn't drag going from driveway to grass and putting it in the shed. Nice to adjust grass height by pushing a button. Better seat and better ride too. "Feels" heavier, smoother.

I feel the Broadmoor was worth the difference in price. (How much value is constant aggravation worth)?

Last edited:

pegken

Threads
Several areas.

First is the tires are too small, makes the chassis too close to the ground. This make it impossible to get the mowing deck off the ground completely. When going from driveway to grass, it gouges.

Also I part my tractor in a shed and use 2x8's as a ramp. This makes it d.r.a.g. up the ramp onto the shed floor.

Hated Simplicity for designing this pice of shit. Took it back to the selling dealer and he couldn't figure anything out. So he called Simplicity engineering. I was in the office when he called. They had no answer other that that's the way its supposed to be.

Hated the way the deck adjusted the cutting height. I literally had to get off the tractor to gain enough strength to crank the damn thing up.

Several other complaints with the Regent that I don't remember now.

The Broadmoor has bigger tire with more ground clearance and an electrical deck height motor. Deck comes completely off the ground, barely, but it doesn't drag going from driveway to grass and putting it in the shed. Nice to adjust grass height by pushing a button. Better seat and better ride too. "Feels" heavier, smoother.

I feel the Broadmoor was worth the difference in price. (How much value is constant aggravation worth)?
Thanks for the heads up. I also feel you get what you pay for and if the Regent 38 is giving you so much grief it's definitely not worth keeping. I had no idea that the low hanging deck was a problem so that was good to know seeing that I would have to go from driveway to grass several times to cut my lawn.

Great information, thanks.

Ken