2017 toro ztr

Fairlane

Threads
Hi all, I had given to me a 2017 Toro ztr with ( I think is a Loncin engine ) 708cc 24.5 hp engine, Model # 127-9040. The guy told me it was a real smoker. it been setting in my garage about a year and half till I finally got time to check it out. When I tried to start it would turn over till hit compression then stop, put in known good battery same thing, pulled valve covers put on tdc .020 feeler gauge fell straight through lol, set valves put valve covers back on engine started right up, motor sounded good ran good but immediately started to smoke. My garage is 30x40 and in less than a minute ( no kidding ) my garage was completely full of smoke, I have never seen any engine smoke like that in my life. checked compression 95 Ibs both cylinders, looking at engine diagram I seen what is called a valve breather or reed valve (which I know nothing about really ) the cork gasket was totally saturated with oil like it might be filling the cavity up ( is this normal ). Could this valve be sucking to much oil into the cylinders ( right plug was dipping with oil. Could blown head gasket (s) make it smoke that bad. what do you think.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the model and serial numbers, off the ID tag, so we can see exactly what you have.

kbowley

Threads
Is the oil level correct? Did you change the oil and filter? From your description, the crankcase is building pressure and blowing out the breather tube. Remove the breather hose from the air cleaner and see if it is blowing oil from it. let us know...may be bad piston rings but usually the compression would be low.

Last edited:

Fairlane

Threads
Thanks for your repyl Rivets

Under the seat the tag is as follows

MFG Part # 185771VN478
Cust Part # 136-5575
Serial no. N1283530

Engine shroud

Model # 127-9040
Serial # 127904016120032515

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those model and serial numbers for a Timecutater don’t show up. Please look at the ID tag again. Toro uses a 5 digit model number, like 74755 and a 9 digit serial number like 316XXXXXX.

Fairlane

Threads
I found another tag on the frame

Model # 74775
Serial # 400842369
sorry

kbowley

Threads
It should be on the left side of the engine pan below the fuel pump, or the model and serial number can be found on a sticker between the engine and the seat.

kbowley

Threads
Another thought...I know, scary...it very well could be a head gasket(s) failure allowing oil from the pushrod galley into the cylinder(s).

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, you have a Loncin engine, probably model 2P77F. Attached is the service manual for your unit. Start with the simple things first. I’m guessing either a blown head gasket or carb problem. Start by pulling both plugs, remember which side they came from and look at the color. Also, smell the oil for gas. Let use know what you found and we’ll go from there. What did you set the valve clearance at?