2014 HyperZ 60” 1000cc Kawasaki dies at idle then won’t start + Dealers don’t have replacement battery to specs

Valtex

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2014 HyperZ 60” 1000cc Kawasaki dies at idle then won’t start + Dealers don’t have replacement battery to specs
Pulled plugs=slight dry carbon around rim, changed, checked air filter=looks clean, changed fuel filter because I had one, checked both oil levels/ good. Fuel pump new from past year. It will crank and mow but when I disengage the blades and leave at idle for a few minutes it dies then doesn’t want to crank.So far it eventually does start- after cooling? Where do I go troubleshooting from here? Also, a BIG also- it has the original battery, so 10 years old! Still shows 14.5 volts and cables look fine but removed them, cleaned terminals added dielectric gel and reinstalled. I would’ve replaced it but OMG what a nightmare. Dealers wanted to sell me a battery with 300cca but owners manual states it needs a minimum of 480-550 cca. Called Hustler and they agree with owner manuals both theirs and Kawasaki's but nobody has this BCI group 45 battery at those cranking amps. Called Interstate battery and there is one MT-51 but it is a bit too tall,maybe. Current battery is 8”, Interstate is 8 15/16” And it's $205. Suggestions on why it's dying and what's up with mower dealers not using recommended battery to specs? One (my dealer) told me they use 300cca on all the mowers on their lot. I read but don’t know personally that this under amps can cause electronic, alternator, ignition, etc damage.
Help please

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 2014 HyperZ 60” 1000cc Kawasaki dies at idle then won’t start + Dealers don’t have replacement battery to specs
Are measuring using the following?
1717715472317.png

Also need the battery being quote dims too.

And you can also Check Battery Plus Bulbs.

Also low capacity won't hurt as much but you definitely would have shorter cranking and reserve times.

Valtex

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for answering. Tried to add photos but the file is too big. Anyway we measured just the battery case, would have to add an inch for the posts. Old/present battery is 5 1/4” W x 8 3/4 L x 8” H of case 9” H max. The hydraulic fluid reservoir cap sticks up a bit higher than the battery posts and doesn’t hit the seat bottom so I might have a bit more lagniappe but that's difficult to measure.What are battery quote dims?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check with your local John Deere dealers for the battery.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The interstate SP-45 is a group 45 battery with 480 CCA. $125