2005 Silver Eagle Battery Will Not Charge

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That resin also insulates each part as to not let heat dump off too. Damn if you do, damn if you don't thing.

stbird

Threads
That resin also insulates each part as to not let heat dump off too. Damn if you do, damn if you don't thing.
I never have pulled the metal engine shroud.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I never have pulled the metal engine shroud.
Well you should take it off every year or two and clean the debris from the cooling fins
So go stand in the naughty boy corner

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Because they have rectifiers that changes the AC voltage to DC voltage.

stbird

Threads
Well you should take it off every year or two and clean the debris from the cooling fins
So go stand in the naughty boy corner
I looked at the shroud. Looks very complicated to remove. I actually had a mouse make a nest under the shroud. I tried to pull out as much as I could. For awhile everytime I got done mowing smoke was pouring out like there was a fire. I think I got it all out now.

stbird

Threads
Replaced the voltage regulator yesterday finally and am gettingf 14 volts at the battery while running so I think that is fixed. However, when I attach the charger to the battery it still won't charge. Charger jumps back and forth between red and green constantly like there is a short somewhere. I tried to charge it with the voltage regulator removed and it did the same thing. Not sure what is going on.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I looked at the shroud. Looks very complicated to remove.
You might get a lawn service then. Should only be maybe 4 bolts max to remove it. Might have a plastic cover with a couple screws on top of it.

You need to remove the engine shroud YEARLY. As in if you don't, you are looking at ENGINE DAMAGE. Or in your case a possible mouse fire that burns your mower to the ground. Yearly meaning every year of mowing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I looked at the shroud. Looks very complicated to remove. I actually had a mouse make a nest under the shroud. I tried to pull out as much as I could. For awhile everytime I got done mowing smoke was pouring out like there was a fire. I think I got it all out now.
1/2 doing a job just leads to more problems
The blower housing will be held on by 4 or 6 small bolts
Depending upon the exact specification of the engine you may have to remove a finger guard &/or the rotating debris guard
Again usually 4 screws / bolts in each .
Pounds to peanuts the mouse has chewed through the insulation on a power wire that is shorting out against the engine

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
You really need to take the blower housing off and clean the mouse mess out of the engine. You can not just pull out most of it and cure the problem. If you don't clean it out in can cause the valve seat to come out of the head pop the head off the exhaust valve burn the exhaust valve and blow a head gasket. Your mower you call.