2004 TroyBilt Bronco 18.5 HP B&S Stalling!

Firebirdman469

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, this is my first post so take it easy on me!

I just purchased a 2004 TroyBilt Bronco with an 18.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Intek engine. The carburetor needle and float were bad so it was letting gas into the crankcase. I bought a carb rebuild kit, cleaned the carb out and replaced the gaskets, needle, etc. I put everything back together and started it up. I changed the oil 3 times to make sure there wasnt any gas left over in the crankcase, and everything seemed fine. I hopped on it, started it up, and noticed that the idle seemed a little off... I'm still new to small engines, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I managed to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw and the throttle screw so that it would idle really well in all throttle positions. However, as soon as I go to push the accelerator, it sputters and stalls. In addition, whenever I go to engage the mower deck, it sputters and stalls. Am I missing something with my adjustment? Any ideas on what may be wrong? Keep in mind that I am fairly new to these engines...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I purchased the mower for $250 and have about $100 in battery, oil changes, and the carb rebuild kit. I'm trying to save myself the $100+ of taking it to a small engine mechanic...

-James

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello everyone, this is my first post so take it easy on me!

I managed to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw and the throttle screw so that it would idle really well in all throttle positions.

-James

Was the seal (gasket) between carb and engine looked ok. you may have a leak.
Readjust the air/fuel mixture screw up a little more richer, maybe running a little too lean.
Carburetor Adjustment
Start engine and allow to warm up at 3000 RPM. Turn needle valve in until engine misses (lean mixture) then turn it out past smooth operating point until engine runs unevenly (rich mixture). turn needle valve to the mid-point between rich and lean so engine runs smoothly. Hold throttle at idle position and set idle speed.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The main fuel jet is still partially clogged. On some of the carbs the jet is in the bowl nut.

Firebirdman469

Forum Newbie
Threads
The main fuel jet is still partially clogged. On some of the carbs the jet is in the bowl nut.

Do you recommend that I take everything apart and clean it again? I thought I "cleaned the hell" out of it...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is still something clogging a jet in the carb. There are cases where somethng gets into some of the fine passages in todays newer carbs and cannot be cleaned. Try cleaning the carb again and definitely spray carb cleaner through any get, orifice, passage that you can find. If it still doesn;t run right after than then replace the carb.

Firebirdman469

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is still something clogging a jet in the carb. There are cases where somethng gets into some of the fine passages in todays newer carbs and cannot be cleaned. Try cleaning the carb again and definitely spray carb cleaner through any get, orifice, passage that you can find. If it still doesn;t run right after than then replace the carb.

Can you buy the main jet separately? It looks like mine may be damaged...

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't they're come with a carb kit.

Firebirdman469

Forum Newbie
Threads

I bought a carb overhaul kit and it didn't include any replacement jets. It came with gaskets, seals, choke spring, air/fuel spring, and some miscellaneous parts..

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry, have a look on ebay.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

Briggs removed the nozzles and jets from the kits last year in most of the kits. Are now purchased separately. The last time I tried to order a nozzle to go with a kit because the nozzle was damaged it wasn't in stock at the distributor.