20 year old Kubota or new residental zero turn ?

xtal_01

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need a mower. My old cub cadet (LT 1050) is dying fast. I have about 3 acres to mow ... gently rolling (but some fairly steep hills like my septic mound).

So, I was looking at a new zero turn ... toro or cub cadet or ??? ... all in the $5K range.

I borrowed my neighbors 20 year old Kubota ZD21.

Wow ... 60" deck (mine is 50) ... fast ... went from 5 hours to 2 1/2 hours!

So question ... I see a few used ZD21's out there ... about $5K

Or a brand new residential mower .. about $5K

Which way should I go???

$5K is about my limit.

Thanks ... Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How long is a piece of string ?
At 5K you should be able to get a top end residential / bottom end commercial new
I would definately not consider paying anything less because under that most are trash.
OR as I describe them temporary diverted land fill .

You should also be able to get a good used commercial but that requires you to be able to asses the mowers wear & quality and by virtue of the fact you are here asking this question I would assume you are not confident in your ability to do this .

xtal_01

Forum Newbie
Threads
How long is a piece of string ?
At 5K you should be able to get a top end residential / bottom end commercial new
I would definately not consider paying anything less because under that most are trash.
OR as I describe them temporary diverted land fill .

You should also be able to get a good used commercial but that requires you to be able to asses the mowers wear & quality and by virtue of the fact you are here asking this question I would assume you are not confident in your ability to do this .
I wish I had more but $5K is about my limit

If I get a new one ... it would most likely be a Toro ... 60" ... probably the kawaski engine ... $5K

There is a ZD21 up for auction this weekend ... but it is 800 miles away.

Just trying to figure out if I should look at a 20 year old commercial mower .. for for the same price a new Toro?

Thanks!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
A 20 year old mower should be bought for pennies on the dollar.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Even though I would normally recommend the Kubota over 50% of the time, but depending on condition and what part of the country you’re in, I think it might be a little on the high side. Check out this site. https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings?keywords=ZD21

xtal_01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Even though I would normally recommend the Kubota over 50% of the time, but depending on condition and what part of the country you’re in, I think it might be a little on the high side. Check out this site. https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings?keywords=ZD21
That is exactly where I was looking. They seem to be around the $6K mark ... the first one is the one at auction tomorrow ... starting bid $750. I checked a sited for "sold at auction" units ... $3200 to $4400.

It will cost me $1500 to ship so I would need to buy for less than $3500 to fit my budget.

Mike