20.5 twin cylinder what is the minimum compression?

Here what I know for sure. Model 61707 Type 0145 E3 Code 9912205A I definitely leaking from the crank shaft seal underneath. Smoked for a while this morning blades weren't spiinning too fast just kind of died in the grass. Motor kept running though. Last year all was well it just was using a lot of oil. This year I have had it out for about a month now I its getting weaker. I also know its using almost twice the fuel. All I have is a standard compression gauge. I'm tempted to take it apart. Its not in the cards for a new tractor this year. Right now I'm all ears.:smile:

Hows those head gaskets??...you will lose power there too if gaskets are bye bye...it smoking all the time but stronger on start up?...
 
The briggs opposed engines where decent engines for their time, their was a habit of oval wearing the cylinders and cause loose of power. Having the valve seats get loose and come out allowing the engine to run on one cylinder. Since it is an 98 possibly could be floating the valves somewhat, some reseating the valves may improve things.
 
Thanks. It does start right up & runs fine but is lacking power & smokes plus leaking from the bottom which I believe is the crank seal. I'm going to open it up later today. I'm a little slow because I have a cracked bone in my wrist. :)
 
like ilengine said....its a good option for now...quick a cheap fix...if gaskets and valve seats dont cure it then its dollar time :)
 
This is a picture of both sides.
 

Attachments

  • Motor right side.jpg
    Motor right side.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Motor left side.jpg
    Motor left side.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 8
Weak point on gasket is just at exhaust vale to cylinder...id bet anything they were fried there...if you bring the piston to TDC and see how those valves are sitting....bet they lose
 
I was impressed with the size of the valves & piston. Yes both sides were loose at the bottom. I cleaned what I could. Spun the valves. The pistons aren"t sloppy. Last engine I had apart was my 05 Sprinter with a 3.0ltr diesel. Those pistons were sloppy. Bolted them back on torqued them all round & started it. Sounded like it use to. Strong. no smoke. Took it around the field put on the mower no smoke. Seems like the power is back. I'll wait & see. Thanks for everyones help.
 
It's like a new machine today. Went out with the trailer to pick up wood I cut down. No smoke on start up or any start ups today. I'll get a new mower belt tomorrow as today is a holiday here.
 
Back
Top