2 flat acres, 10K budget... Which Zero Turn?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Neighbor across the hollow runs a Toro Z-Master 52" & he must mow the same way each time, cause his lawn (if you can still call it that) is rutted so badly. Terrible.

DK35vince

Threads
I mow my lawn with a Hustler Super Z 72" deck (1600 lbs) and a Kioti DK 35 tractor with 84" finish mower (over 4000 lbs)
I don't have any problem with rutting.
Nice thick grass, no ruts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is more to rutting than the weight of the mower and the width of the drive wheels.
Like they density of the grass and the soil structure
I have seen some grassed areas where I leave foot holes as I walk over them and others that I have driven skid steers over and you could not see where I had been.

My delivery van is a LWB Mitsubishi which apart from 200 kg of service tools is empty and it will rut some grassed areas. particularly those that are over watered.
My service area is not sewered and everyone is being forced to fit "bio-cycles" which self pump the effluent onto the grass and if the owners do not regularly move the discharge hoses a dry clay lawn will turn into a bog.
All ZTRs tend to rut lawns because 80+ % of the weight is on the back wheels where as tractors have the weight evenly distributed.
What makes a massive difference is the type of tyre.
Round shoulder tyres are much easier on the grass but more prone to side slip.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
To add to Bert's explanation. The biggest issue with rutting a yard is an EGO. You know the one... I do not need help I can do this myself. I am just a smart as the other guy. So they forge ahead and use the new mower knowing how easy it is and next thing you know you have ruts and an attitude of it must be the mowers falt because I know what I am doing.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
10K Huh ...?? sounds like it's "burnin a hole in your pocket" , IF that were my situation, I think I'd go buy a decent TRACTOR type mower and maybe a few "attachments" to go with it, then sock the rest away, for a "rainy-day" and/or buy the little lady of the house a lil present, THAT will make both of ya's happy, ( happy wife = happy life ) , just food for thought ! ..:thumbsup:

I used to mow 3 1/2 acres with a USED $400.00 MTD 46in. 21 HP. NO problem, but I enjoyed riding that mower.

173abn

Threads
Have you thought of buying used? I bought a 928D Grasshopper ,front mount 60 deck 5yrs ago/paid $5000.00 for it and will last me the rest of my life. I mow approx 3 acres.You can't beat the desiel for the power/torque combo and you can cut 2 to 3 times more on a tank compared to a gasser...russ

handtools

Threads
I also mow 2 acres of relatively flat, new lawn, had a 54" Craftsman rider for the first 2 years and just got an Ariens Apex 60"(same as a Gravely ZTHD). To be honest the Ariens is overkill but it's built like a tank and fun to use, and it will only use up about half your budget!

Lawn Addict
Threads
10K Huh ...?? sounds like it's "burnin a hole in your pocket" , IF that were my situation, I think I'd go buy a decent TRACTOR type mower and maybe a few "attachments" to go with it, then sock the rest away, for a "rainy-day" and/or buy the little lady of the house a lil present, THAT will make both of ya's happy, ( happy wife = happy life ) , just food for thought ! ..:thumbsup:

I used to mow 3 1/2 acres with a USED $400.00 MTD 46in. 21 HP. NO problem, but I enjoyed riding that mower.

I agree with a portion of Boo's post, socking the rest away for rainy day is my thing.

Disagree about spoiling the house mouse, that imo is over-rated. Keep a smile on her face other ways, & call it good.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree with a portion of Boo's post, socking the rest away for rainy day is my thing.

Disagree about spoiling the house mouse, that imo is over-rated. Keep a smile on her face other ways, & call it good.

Numbers,.. you're so full of B/S,.. your eye's are brown ! ( LOL ) I'll tell ya, ALL females LOVE a surprise, and even more-so if it's even a small trinket, ( something about the thought behind it ) and if it's something they really like, that's all the better, old saying ..you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar ! ( house-mouse ?? if she heard you say that, you'd be sleepin on the couch, you dirty rat !!) ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Numbers,.. you're so full of B/S,.. your eye's are brown ! ( LOL ) I'll tell ya, ALL females LOVE a surprise, and even more-so if it's even a small trinket, ( something about the thought behind it ) and if it's something they really like, that's all the better, old saying ..you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar ! ( house-mouse ?? if she heard you say that, you'd be sleepin on the couch, you dirty rat !!) ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Boo-
you got me. Does giving her a pickle tickle count ? 'sides we have a nice comfy couch. :laughing: