2.5 Acres (50/50 Flat/Hilly) and can only afford $2000

grassgreen

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2.5 Acres (50/50 Flat/Hilly) and can only afford $2000
Thank you everyone for your input. Really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out!

Checked Gravely website, their local dealers, and the central Virginia/Richmond area had a big circle with an 'x' mark. Closest dealer is an hour away, on back roads. Need someone more local!

The pathetic Husqvarna dealer (not to be revisited) is the Kubota dealer...just am not botherinng with THAT dealer for anything!

Read the thread on the '3/4 acre' article, reviewing the Toro TimeCutter and Cub Cadet RZT.......seem to be a toss up between the two; everyone has their own experience. Read reveiws on both at Consumer Report, both with ratings at 71; Toro was 'recommended' but again, a toss up.

Went to the local Ace Hardware, small town dealership, reviewed models on floor which could be delivered next day...desparate to cut grass and move on. Went with CubCadet RZT42...22 hsp vs Toro's 20, and CC had the window for both hour reading and battery charge info; seat back not as comfy as Toro's but other features take priority. The hour meter could be installed on Toro, but would be on order, and need mower NOW. Both at same price, $2,499. Delivered the next day, yesterday. Gentleman who delivered the mower showed me features, ran through system, gave me demonstration on handling mower, and then had me test drive before he left; 45 minute tutorial....Husqvarna dealer didn't do any of that 5 yrs ago. I was a bit wobbly at first, but now seems second nature (very intuitive), and fun to drive! Instead of 5.5 hours to cut, down to 3.5 hours, first time out! Maybe i can improve on time in future, but pleased at 3.5 hours. (Old mower has 3 blades for a 48" cutting width but new mower, 2 blades for a 42" cutting width, could cut with fewer passes, even on straight runs...makes no sense, but knew areas and what they usually require. Of course, cutting around trees (planted 250 pines) was a new experience.....no more multiple passes on each tree, just one neat circle. Too many areas too tight with 48" so didn't want, nor could afford the 50" wide model.)

Thank you again, EVERYONE!

possum

Threads
Those two mowers you considered and bought one of seem to be well favored this year, let us know how things work out on the cub by later summer etc. It would be nice to hear from real world owners on some of the new mowers they are buying this spring.

scott47429

Threads
ok I'm going to put In my two cents here and that may be all its worth but here it goes i had a 98 toro wheel horse 520 lxi great mower but as the years rolled along it started leaking oil ties went flat all the time and it got to where it wouldn't cut good at all i tried new blades and even a new deck same ol problem so i went to a zero turn i traded it and got a new 2012 husqvarna rz 5426 and i used it once and it wouldn't hold on a hill at all kept loosing control of it so i went and put new tires on it and that helped some but just wasn't enough to make me comfortable so i traded it for a 2003 Exmark laser z HP i love this mower never have i been on something so fast that rides so good and cuts great so if i was going to look at mowers i would look hard at the exmark you don't have to get one as big as i got but i found it used with low hours and great price but take a good hard look at them worth every penny you spend on them by the way i had the husqvarna 2 weeks to the day mowed 3 times with it and was never more happy to see something leave on a trailer in all my life i had the wheel horse 11 yrs and was sad to see it leave just my two cents

benski

Threads
Thank you everyone for your input. Really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out!

Checked Gravely website, their local dealers, and the central Virginia/Richmond area had a big circle with an 'x' mark. Closest dealer is an hour away, on back roads. Need someone more local!

The pathetic Husqvarna dealer (not to be revisited) is the Kubota dealer...just am not botherinng with THAT dealer for anything!

Read the thread on the '3/4 acre' article, reviewing the Toro TimeCutter and Cub Cadet RZT.......seem to be a toss up between the two; everyone has their own experience. Read reveiws on both at Consumer Report, both with ratings at 71; Toro was 'recommended' but again, a toss up.

Went to the local Ace Hardware, small town dealership, reviewed models on floor which could be delivered next day...desparate to cut grass and move on. Went with CubCadet RZT42...22 hsp vs Toro's 20, and CC had the window for both hour reading and battery charge info; seat back not as comfy as Toro's but other features take priority. The hour meter could be installed on Toro, but would be on order, and need mower NOW. Both at same price, $2,499. Delivered the next day, yesterday. Gentleman who delivered the mower showed me features, ran through system, gave me demonstration on handling mower, and then had me test drive before he left; 45 minute tutorial....Husqvarna dealer didn't do any of that 5 yrs ago. I was a bit wobbly at first, but now seems second nature (very intuitive), and fun to drive! Instead of 5.5 hours to cut, down to 3.5 hours, first time out! Maybe i can improve on time in future, but pleased at 3.5 hours. (Old mower has 3 blades for a 48" cutting width but new mower, 2 blades for a 42" cutting width, could cut with fewer passes, even on straight runs...makes no sense, but knew areas and what they usually require. Of course, cutting around trees (planted 250 pines) was a new experience.....no more multiple passes on each tree, just one neat circle. Too many areas too tight with 48" so didn't want, nor could afford the 50" wide model.)

Thank you again, EVERYONE!

After your initial break-in period, you might switch over to synthetic oil. My personal favorite is Amsoil ASE, but there are several other premium synthetics out there. That will help keep your new equipment in good shape. Congratulations on your purchase.:smile:

scott47429

Threads
i use to use amsoil all the time when i was a dealer for them great oil i used it in everything but i stopped handling it and its hard to find here but lucus makes a great synthetic oil also and much easer to find