Export thread

2.5 Acres (50/50 Flat/Hilly) and can only afford $2000

G

grassgreen

My 5 year-old Husqvarna YTH2348 is non-operative after one month of cutting this season (and 5 previous years of hard work.) Am working on it, learning as I go, trying to resisatate the tired machine; yearly usage approx 120 hours, cutting and hauling. Husqvarna dealer purchased from was soured on Husqvarna and begrudgingly serviced machine 4 seasons; when parts started falling off, finished with that dealer. Called the new dealer, even closer, went over with all prevous work orders for history, and tried 5 times over 3 years to get service. Cannot even return phone calls. This is why I'm trying to learn how to service my own equipment. Will continue to learn.

Just looked at new Husqvarna on-line, YTH24K48, faster, more horsepower, $1900, but in reading reviews and talking to Lowe's staff, the factory forgot to install lift mechanism to raise deck, so mowers recalled. Husqvarna cannot even get their machines out of the factory correct, so why buy more problematic equipment.

So shopping around. Went to Consumer Reports and have their comparisons and am now researching on-line. Consumer reviews are best tool around, and have read multiple threads on this site, all helpful. Cannot afford anything over $2,000, a drop-in-the-bucket for some. I understand 'you get what you pay for', agree, but have limited resources and need to work within my means. Read comments on Big Box stores and their lines vs the dealer lines, but it seems dealers carry the more expensive lines and don't want to deal with the less expensive models. Had an old Murray for 13 years, 18 hp prior to Husqvarna, and thought I was purchasing better with Husqvarna, but that was questionable thinking in hindsight.

Looking at JD140 and Craftsman28858, similar on CR. Any suggestions, recommendations? Am burnt on dealers who cannot provide good, reliable service, and understand big box stores limitations. What to do?

P

possum

If I read this right you got 600 hours of service from a fairly cheap lawntractor type machine. I would run, no i would fly to the nearest Huskvarna dealer and get another two thousand dollar machine just like the last one. That is less than 4 bucks an hour for a machine.

M

MNBen

I am in the exact same boat. I am going to subscribe to this thread and listen to what is said. Although, I am leaning in towards a zero turn to accommodate my 1972 cub cadet.

talley2191

talley2191

Ditto the thought on getting the same ole' same ole and hoping for 5 more years of service. $2,000 could also buy a nice used mower if you search long enough for a private seller.

G

grassgreen

Thank you all...had not considered the service cost per hour! That somehow makes me feel better...

I started investigating the zero-turn options yesterday on-line...Consumer Report, other reviews. Know WELL that they will cost more, much more, but doesn't cost anymore to look. Considering the advice of other threads read, go to a local dealer vs Big Box store. Another, different dealer (NO Husqvarna dealers) has Toro's and Cub Cadets. The Toro TimeCutter SS4235 is $2,600. Is it good, is it worth the extra bucks?

Thank you again for the responses. They really help!

U

unkledude

Thank you all...had not considered the service cost per hour! That somehow makes me feel better...

I started investigating the zero-turn options yesterday on-line...Consumer Report, other reviews. Know WELL that they will cost more, much more, but doesn't cost anymore to look. Considering the advice of other threads read, go to a local dealer vs Big Box store. Another, different dealer (NO Husqvarna dealers) has Toro's and Cub Cadets. The Toro TimeCutter SS4235 is $2,600. Is it good, is it worth the extra bucks?

Thank you again for the responses. They really help!

greengrass,

Have you looked at the Gravely line (Zt, I believe) in that price range of under 3k, good reviews, strong backghround. My mower is almost done (an old lawn boy 8hp) and I'm considering it strongly! :biggrin: As my next mower

My 2 cents

Parkmower

Parkmower

Once you go ZT you'll never go back. And yes theyre worth every extra penny.

P

possum

Scroll down aways to the 3/4 acre post on a zero turn. Has some info on both Toro and Cub Cadet in your price range, both pretty good arguements on those two units. I only know one guy who has the Toro you looked at, he really likes it but puts very few hours on in comparison. The Cub Cadet zero turns come through town here every spring and mow the heck out of all the bank owned lots and never return, those things really mow but that is all I know about them. Troybilt is the main MTD items here in town, those I have seen run a great deal but Cub is just not a real big item here.

K

koshia

Hi I'm a new homeowner and I'm looking for a mower as well... Ran into this article and before this I was looking at Kubotas -- they have a nice promotion going on right now for 0% 60 months.

Sorry for hijacking your thread op

Once you go ZT you'll never go back. And yes theyre worth every extra penny.

As far as the Mustang ZT50 series, does it have any snow blower attachments or blade attachments to it? I couldn't find it on their site so i'm assuming no.

Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy

If buying new, you might want to purchase an extended warranty. Let repairs be their problem as long as possible. If you can find something at a local dealer the warranty work will go much smoother than from purchasing from a big box store.

Local dealers tend to take care of their own if you know what I mean. Who can blame them? :)

G

grassgreen

Thank you everyone for your input. Really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out!

Checked Gravely website, their local dealers, and the central Virginia/Richmond area had a big circle with an 'x' mark. Closest dealer is an hour away, on back roads. Need someone more local!

The pathetic Husqvarna dealer (not to be revisited) is the Kubota dealer...just am not botherinng with THAT dealer for anything!

Read the thread on the '3/4 acre' article, reviewing the Toro TimeCutter and Cub Cadet RZT.......seem to be a toss up between the two; everyone has their own experience. Read reveiws on both at Consumer Report, both with ratings at 71; Toro was 'recommended' but again, a toss up.

Went to the local Ace Hardware, small town dealership, reviewed models on floor which could be delivered next day...desparate to cut grass and move on. Went with CubCadet RZT42...22 hsp vs Toro's 20, and CC had the window for both hour reading and battery charge info; seat back not as comfy as Toro's but other features take priority. The hour meter could be installed on Toro, but would be on order, and need mower NOW. Both at same price, $2,499. Delivered the next day, yesterday. Gentleman who delivered the mower showed me features, ran through system, gave me demonstration on handling mower, and then had me test drive before he left; 45 minute tutorial....Husqvarna dealer didn't do any of that 5 yrs ago. I was a bit wobbly at first, but now seems second nature (very intuitive), and fun to drive! Instead of 5.5 hours to cut, down to 3.5 hours, first time out! Maybe i can improve on time in future, but pleased at 3.5 hours. (Old mower has 3 blades for a 48" cutting width but new mower, 2 blades for a 42" cutting width, could cut with fewer passes, even on straight runs...makes no sense, but knew areas and what they usually require. Of course, cutting around trees (planted 250 pines) was a new experience.....no more multiple passes on each tree, just one neat circle. Too many areas too tight with 48" so didn't want, nor could afford the 50" wide model.)

Thank you again, EVERYONE!

P

possum

Those two mowers you considered and bought one of seem to be well favored this year, let us know how things work out on the cub by later summer etc. It would be nice to hear from real world owners on some of the new mowers they are buying this spring.

scott47429

scott47429

ok I'm going to put In my two cents here and that may be all its worth but here it goes i had a 98 toro wheel horse 520 lxi great mower but as the years rolled along it started leaking oil ties went flat all the time and it got to where it wouldn't cut good at all i tried new blades and even a new deck same ol problem so i went to a zero turn i traded it and got a new 2012 husqvarna rz 5426 and i used it once and it wouldn't hold on a hill at all kept loosing control of it so i went and put new tires on it and that helped some but just wasn't enough to make me comfortable so i traded it for a 2003 Exmark laser z HP i love this mower never have i been on something so fast that rides so good and cuts great so if i was going to look at mowers i would look hard at the exmark you don't have to get one as big as i got but i found it used with low hours and great price but take a good hard look at them worth every penny you spend on them by the way i had the husqvarna 2 weeks to the day mowed 3 times with it and was never more happy to see something leave on a trailer in all my life i had the wheel horse 11 yrs and was sad to see it leave just my two cents

B

benski

Thank you everyone for your input. Really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out!

Checked Gravely website, their local dealers, and the central Virginia/Richmond area had a big circle with an 'x' mark. Closest dealer is an hour away, on back roads. Need someone more local!

The pathetic Husqvarna dealer (not to be revisited) is the Kubota dealer...just am not botherinng with THAT dealer for anything!

Read the thread on the '3/4 acre' article, reviewing the Toro TimeCutter and Cub Cadet RZT.......seem to be a toss up between the two; everyone has their own experience. Read reveiws on both at Consumer Report, both with ratings at 71; Toro was 'recommended' but again, a toss up.

Went to the local Ace Hardware, small town dealership, reviewed models on floor which could be delivered next day...desparate to cut grass and move on. Went with CubCadet RZT42...22 hsp vs Toro's 20, and CC had the window for both hour reading and battery charge info; seat back not as comfy as Toro's but other features take priority. The hour meter could be installed on Toro, but would be on order, and need mower NOW. Both at same price, $2,499. Delivered the next day, yesterday. Gentleman who delivered the mower showed me features, ran through system, gave me demonstration on handling mower, and then had me test drive before he left; 45 minute tutorial....Husqvarna dealer didn't do any of that 5 yrs ago. I was a bit wobbly at first, but now seems second nature (very intuitive), and fun to drive! Instead of 5.5 hours to cut, down to 3.5 hours, first time out! Maybe i can improve on time in future, but pleased at 3.5 hours. (Old mower has 3 blades for a 48" cutting width but new mower, 2 blades for a 42" cutting width, could cut with fewer passes, even on straight runs...makes no sense, but knew areas and what they usually require. Of course, cutting around trees (planted 250 pines) was a new experience.....no more multiple passes on each tree, just one neat circle. Too many areas too tight with 48" so didn't want, nor could afford the 50" wide model.)

Thank you again, EVERYONE!

After your initial break-in period, you might switch over to synthetic oil. My personal favorite is Amsoil ASE, but there are several other premium synthetics out there. That will help keep your new equipment in good shape. Congratulations on your purchase.:smile:

scott47429

scott47429

i use to use amsoil all the time when i was a dealer for them great oil i used it in everything but i stopped handling it and its hard to find here but lucus makes a great synthetic oil also and much easer to find