2.5 Acres (50/50 Flat/Hilly) and can only afford $2000

grassgreen

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2.5 Acres (50/50 Flat/Hilly) and can only afford $2000
My 5 year-old Husqvarna YTH2348 is non-operative after one month of cutting this season (and 5 previous years of hard work.) Am working on it, learning as I go, trying to resisatate the tired machine; yearly usage approx 120 hours, cutting and hauling. Husqvarna dealer purchased from was soured on Husqvarna and begrudgingly serviced machine 4 seasons; when parts started falling off, finished with that dealer. Called the new dealer, even closer, went over with all prevous work orders for history, and tried 5 times over 3 years to get service. Cannot even return phone calls. This is why I'm trying to learn how to service my own equipment. Will continue to learn.

Just looked at new Husqvarna on-line, YTH24K48, faster, more horsepower, $1900, but in reading reviews and talking to Lowe's staff, the factory forgot to install lift mechanism to raise deck, so mowers recalled. Husqvarna cannot even get their machines out of the factory correct, so why buy more problematic equipment.

So shopping around. Went to Consumer Reports and have their comparisons and am now researching on-line. Consumer reviews are best tool around, and have read multiple threads on this site, all helpful. Cannot afford anything over $2,000, a drop-in-the-bucket for some. I understand 'you get what you pay for', agree, but have limited resources and need to work within my means. Read comments on Big Box stores and their lines vs the dealer lines, but it seems dealers carry the more expensive lines and don't want to deal with the less expensive models. Had an old Murray for 13 years, 18 hp prior to Husqvarna, and thought I was purchasing better with Husqvarna, but that was questionable thinking in hindsight.

Looking at JD140 and Craftsman28858, similar on CR. Any suggestions, recommendations? Am burnt on dealers who cannot provide good, reliable service, and understand big box stores limitations. What to do?

possum

Threads
If I read this right you got 600 hours of service from a fairly cheap lawntractor type machine. I would run, no i would fly to the nearest Huskvarna dealer and get another two thousand dollar machine just like the last one. That is less than 4 bucks an hour for a machine.

MNBen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am in the exact same boat. I am going to subscribe to this thread and listen to what is said. Although, I am leaning in towards a zero turn to accommodate my 1972 cub cadet.

talley2191

Threads
Ditto the thought on getting the same ole' same ole and hoping for 5 more years of service. $2,000 could also buy a nice used mower if you search long enough for a private seller.

grassgreen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you all...had not considered the service cost per hour! That somehow makes me feel better...

I started investigating the zero-turn options yesterday on-line...Consumer Report, other reviews. Know WELL that they will cost more, much more, but doesn't cost anymore to look. Considering the advice of other threads read, go to a local dealer vs Big Box store. Another, different dealer (NO Husqvarna dealers) has Toro's and Cub Cadets. The Toro TimeCutter SS4235 is $2,600. Is it good, is it worth the extra bucks?

Thank you again for the responses. They really help!

unkledude

Threads
Thank you all...had not considered the service cost per hour! That somehow makes me feel better...

I started investigating the zero-turn options yesterday on-line...Consumer Report, other reviews. Know WELL that they will cost more, much more, but doesn't cost anymore to look. Considering the advice of other threads read, go to a local dealer vs Big Box store. Another, different dealer (NO Husqvarna dealers) has Toro's and Cub Cadets. The Toro TimeCutter SS4235 is $2,600. Is it good, is it worth the extra bucks?

Thank you again for the responses. They really help!

greengrass,

Have you looked at the Gravely line (Zt, I believe) in that price range of under 3k, good reviews, strong backghround. My mower is almost done (an old lawn boy 8hp) and I'm considering it strongly! :biggrin: As my next mower

My 2 cents

Parkmower

Threads
Once you go ZT you'll never go back. And yes theyre worth every extra penny.

possum

Threads
Scroll down aways to the 3/4 acre post on a zero turn. Has some info on both Toro and Cub Cadet in your price range, both pretty good arguements on those two units. I only know one guy who has the Toro you looked at, he really likes it but puts very few hours on in comparison. The Cub Cadet zero turns come through town here every spring and mow the heck out of all the bank owned lots and never return, those things really mow but that is all I know about them. Troybilt is the main MTD items here in town, those I have seen run a great deal but Cub is just not a real big item here.

koshia

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I'm a new homeowner and I'm looking for a mower as well... Ran into this article and before this I was looking at Kubotas -- they have a nice promotion going on right now for 0% 60 months.

Sorry for hijacking your thread op

Once you go ZT you'll never go back. And yes theyre worth every extra penny.

As far as the Mustang ZT50 series, does it have any snow blower attachments or blade attachments to it? I couldn't find it on their site so i'm assuming no.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
If buying new, you might want to purchase an extended warranty. Let repairs be their problem as long as possible. If you can find something at a local dealer the warranty work will go much smoother than from purchasing from a big box store.

Local dealers tend to take care of their own if you know what I mean. Who can blame them? :)