1998 17 hp died wont start spins easy

gallow48

Forum Newbie
Threads
died ,wont start ,spins over easier than before,any ideas?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Remove the Spark Plug and try to check the compression... :smile:KennyV

gallow48

Forum Newbie
Threads
engine turns over ,has zero compression,rods pistons crank all solid ,hows the cam driven in this 98 17 hp opposed flat head briggs and stratton?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the heads the valve seats have come out holding the valves open. Most likely the exhaust valve seats, but could be intake. this is a common problem on the opposed twin briggs. If the seats haven't worn the block too much they can be put back in and peened back into place to hold them. i suspect that one had come out some time ago and was running on one cylinder and then it died after the seat came out of the other cylinder, so the first seat may have hammered the block pretty good and may not be easily repaired.

gallow48

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pull the heads the valve seats have come out holding the valves open. Most likely the exhaust valve seats, but could be intake. this is a common problem on the opposed twin briggs. If the seats haven't worn the block too much they can be put back in and peened back into place to hold them. i suspect that one had come out some time ago and was running on one cylinder and then it died after the seat came out of the other cylinder, so the first seat may have hammered the block pretty good and may not be easily repaired.

thank you ill look into it

jc56

Threads
I would check the "shear key" or woodruff key if you will.The flywheel can be spinning free without turning the engine at all.This would be where I would start.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Did you manage to get it fixed ?