1997 Grasshopper 725

Olympus

Threads
I need some advice on buying a new mower. I have about 4 acres of yard to mow. I currently use a JD 750 tractor with a 60" finish mower. My tractor is in mint condition and extremely low hours for its age. I hate to put a ton of hours on it. And it mows great for flat areas, but sucks for trim work and uneven ground. I had a very small Dixon that I used for trim work, but it but the dust last summer. I want to replace it with a decent Grasshopper that is big enough to mow the whole yard and will be faster than my tractor.

I found what looks like a very nice used 1997 725 model with 1775 hours. Seller says its a one owner and never used commercially. Says its always beeb garaged and does look very clean. No rust at all. Seat looks brand new. Seller says it burns no oil and that he changes the oil every 90hrs. Says it has a new alternator, water pump, belts, and hoses put on last year. Tires look about half worn.

The seller wants $4000, but I have no idea if that's a decent price or if there are some concerns with this model. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's a very good mower, and if it has the Kubota diesel engine it is a Great machine.
1700+ hours is nothing on a Kubota diesel, That is about 120 hrs a year... check the deck wheels and blade spindles for ware, if it has been serviced everything should be good.
It sounds like you are dealing with the actual owner/operator, so you should get a better idea of it's past history.
As to price & condition you can compare that one to these: http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&Manu=GRASSHOPPER&MDLGrp=725
I would feel better with the diesel engine.... :smile:KennyV

Olympus

Threads
It's a very good mower, and if it has the Kubota diesel engine it is a Great machine.
1700+ hours is nothing on a Kubota diesel, That is about 120 hrs a year... check the deck wheels and blade spindles for ware, if it has been serviced everything should be good.
It sounds like you are dealing with the actual owner/operator, so you should get a better idea of it's past history.
As to price & condition you can compare that one to these: http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&Manu=GRASSHOPPER&MDLGrp=725
I would feel better with the diesel engine.... :smile:KennyV

It's not the diesel, it's the 3 cylinder gas Kubota engine. I've read very good things about the motors.

It's a one-owner and has always been garaged and serviced regularly.