18Hp opposed twin not charging

Threads
I recently acquired a commercial size pressure washer with an 18hp Briggs Opposed twin, it needed a carb clean and fuel pump kit. I got it running and it runs pretty well but it's not charging. It's got a heavy duty push button starter switch on it I saw they had the charging wire connected to the starter side of the switch, so I removed it and put it on the battery side of the switch with no change. So then I got to testing the wires coming from the stator to find they had the black wire connected to the charging wire, (the black wire is cut on the pressure washer side of the stator plug) so I switched the red wire so it was connected red to red at the plug, now when I connect the battery I get sparks like it's drawing somewhere. I tested the stator and I've got continuity between the red wire and the ground cable. Thoughts? Is the stator fried?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Two wires from the stator? Have to check for continuity between them (good) and short to ground (bad). Should be some sort of regulator or rectifier in that circuit before the battery connection.

Threads
I've got good contunity from ground to the black wire, 622 ohms from the red wire to ground and 622 ohms from the black to red wire. Junk Stator? Or is it possible the diode is bad?

Tinkerer200

Threads
I've got good contunity from ground to the black wire, 622 ohms from the red wire to ground and 622 ohms from the black to red wire. Junk Stator? Or is it possible the diode is bad?

Continuity thru diode in one direction only. Both ways, bad, neither way bad. Check to ground. IF bad, the Stater from practically any B&S will interchange. Just needs to be same, diode just ahead of plug. That type very common.
Walt Conner