18hp opposed twin flooding- spark issue?

wrldtvlr

Threads
Amazing how fast those little buggers set up shop. Gone for 2 months and I’ve killed 15 in 4 days in the shed. Shed looks like a anti mouse military base now lol
It's a bit of thread drift, but you struck a chord. I've been channeling my inner Bill Murray Caddyshack these past few weeks. Have multiple colonies of the little blighters creating large mounds of dirt in the back 40. Makes mowing a pain and looks like crap. Started with bait stations, graduated to dropping the bait down the entrance hole. Unfortunately, they've started to wise up as each morning I find they've pushed some of the bait back out of the tunnels. Still, I must be making some progress as they are having to dig new tunnels. Spouse wants to know what the modeling clay rodents are in the garage.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It's a bit of thread drift, but you struck a chord. I've been channeling my inner Bill Murray Caddyshack these past few weeks. Have multiple colonies of the little blighters creating large mounds of dirt in the back 40. Makes mowing a pain and looks like crap. Started with bait stations, graduated to dropping the bait down the entrance hole. Unfortunately, they've started to wise up as each morning I find they've pushed some of the bait back out of the tunnels. Still, I must be making some progress as they are having to dig new tunnels. Spouse wants to know what the modeling clay rodents are in the garage.
You haven't had to clean out a pool yet, have you?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
People originally domesticated cats to control rats & mice.
SO yes get a cat, lock it in the shed overnight and only feed it in the morning.
OR
get a couple of carpet pythons, same story, leave them in the shed and make a nice sunny place for them to lay & digest your problem.
A big one can knock off a dozen or so mice in a single night but of course will not hunt for another week after that.
Snakes have a double effect because they leave a scent trail that mice will not cross unless in a frienzied plage

Field mice are hard to control as they will not take most house mouse baits and are too light to trip most mouse traps.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take away the food source and the mice and moles go away. Spray the yard for bugs/grubs. Leave nothing for them to eat or shelter in.

Now back to the original problem. Gas fouled plugs means needle and seat to me. Float level setting should be checked. Flip the carb over with the bowl off. Raise and lower the fuel float with your finger. Blow into the fuel inlet pipe. You should be above to control your exhaled breath with the plastic float. Just like a toilet works to fill the tank up.

slomo

Xbenx927

Forum Newbie
Threads
Our place is 30 mins outside of town on a river in the middle of the woods and the closest neighbor is a few hundred yards away. I was actually joking about a barn cat yesterday before this post. We are by the river and have an Indiana Jones type feel on the river bank which is 5’ from rivers bank edge. Also a lot of coyotes and bobcats. Put the dead ones around the shed as a warning lol. Seen coyote prints and they are all gone over night... we had a bobcat in the spring on our porch 2’ away from glass door wall in the front 3 different days....pretty cool to watch nature that close. Oh and we have a lot of bears but I don’t see them catching mice. I love the snake idea and very surprised I’ve never had one in the shed. I’ll be digging into this later today and report back. I’ll start with checking above crankcase and looking at coil and wires, I’ll have to clean that all out anyways. If that all looks great I’ll migrate to the carb and check that right quick. I’m not a guru on all of this but I have good understand and have taken everything apart at one time or another.
Side note.... I understand some would look at carb first but that doesn’t quite add up if it was running for 45mins then decided to fail. If motor runs great when plugs are essentially boosted then when connected dies that does sound like a kill wire when reconnected it grounds it out. Although that could be hidden by being boosted but seems like the first logical area to check
Talk to you guys in a few.... great group of guys on this forum and lots of great minds
Thanx guys!

Xbenx927

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well. Let the games begin. Took top covers off. Cleaned mouse area. Apparently that was on opposite side of coil. Checked wires from coil. Took coil off and cleaned contacts. Checked kill wire and kill connector. Drained bowl and checked throttle,choke, governor springs and made sure no bad springs or binding.

think I’ll check ignition and clean that contact. It’s looking like it’s time to dig into carb unless someone could tell me how to test coil. When I get done with carb if still doesn’t work only other thing I can think of is bad coil. Just weird it will work when boosted and not at all when connected

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Which ignition system does this twin use?
according to my opposed twin manual, newer ones used Magnetron coils, and older ones used points and condenser.

Last edited:

Xbenx927

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which ignition system does this twin use?
according to my opposed twin manual, newer ones used Magnetron coils, and older ones used points and condenser.

not has a coil w 2 wires and kill wire. On back side of flywheel/plate is a magneto. It’s round. I think I have the bigger of them or second biggest for my model. On the big plate is a magnet facing out or possibly 2. It charges from magneto.
I’ve rebuilt the carb before. I pulled it apart and checked ports, needle, float. Float was a hair loose so I bent tan a hair. Needle n seat looks great. Tested plugs out of motor not against metal and against metal and light to no spark. Going to get new plugs to throw in. Idk where spare set is
on good not I didn’t see plugs fouled with gas so.... put new plugs in and test again. Also disconnected kill wire and tried connected n unconnected with no firing of motor. Just wanted to see if that would isolate a section of wire or grounding. Let ya know in a few

Xbenx927

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m not confident it’s fixed but everything is functioning as of now. Here’s what I did

put new plugs in. Still no start. Checked plugs and now weren’t fuel fouled so went to carb. Checked bowl and nothing inside. Looked at fuel pump real quick, looked good, Took float out and adjusted float/needle tab and reinstalled.Tried to fire again and fired right up. Blew a bunch of carbon and cleaned right out but that makes sense considering.Revs all the way up. Isles all the way down. Sounds good. Dialed in needle a hair then let run for a few. Drove around for a min and shut her down. Waited A few and fired right up again. So I honestly don’t know if I fixed anything. Possible loose kill wire towards ignition or possibly something in float needle port that unlodged. I just don’t understand it fouling with slightly stuck open needle and not running on full throttle ?‍♂️ If anything the float was a bit loose from pressing on needle

we’ll see in time