18.5 hp B&S starts but no high rpms

T&D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put new cam in and checked Governor for wear looks fine. Put every thing back to gather it starts but has no high rpms at all. Put new carb on adjusted Governor several times and replaced fuel lines and filter. Not sure what else may be causing the problem. Anyone have any idea's. John Deere zero turn EZtrack

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Check that the governor spring is in place.

T&D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checked spring and its in the right place

T&D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there anyway to test the governor to make sure it is working.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Watch it.
At rest the arm should be holding the throttle butterfly fully open
As the engine increases speed it should close the throttle to maintian a constant speed
When you turn the engine off , as the engine starts to slow down you should see the arm opening the butterfly again.

If it closes instead of opens then you have it set backwards.

T&D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, will check that out. Running out of idea's on what is wrong. Have tried about everything I know of to do.
Terry

T&D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Watch it.
At rest the arm should be holding the throttle butterfly fully open
As the engine increases speed it should close the throttle to maintian a constant speed
When you turn the engine off , as the engine starts to slow down you should see the arm opening the butterfly again.

If it closes instead of opens then you have it set backwards.
Checked butterfly it’s fully open at rest. So any ideas as to why I have just low idle can’t get it to go full throttle it dies
Terry

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK so the governor is working.
Starting to think you may have the cam timed wrong.
I put a run of masking tape around the flywheel and mark TDC using the side of the coil , then rotate the engine marking the opening & closing points of each valve.
This saves me splitting a case that did not need to be done to check the cam
Alos double check the flywheel key has not broken & the engine is electrically out of time.

Reactions: T&D

T&D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, thanks for your info will check both things. I have never run into this problem before. Will let you know how it turns out.
Terry

T&D

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK so the governor is working.
Starting to think you may have the cam timed wrong.
I put a run of masking tape around the flywheel and mark TDC using the side of the coil , then rotate the engine marking the opening & closing points of each valve.
This saves me splitting a case that did not need to be done to check the cam
Alos double check the flywheel key has not broken & the engine is electrically out of time.
Ok checked key not broken. Engine is TDC. Rechecked cam both dots line up. Tried manual moving linkage into full throttle didn't do anything. Could governor be not working properly? Not sure what is going on. I've checked everything I can think of. Stumped