1554 keeps throwing deck belt when first engaged

jarbalojim

Forum Newbie
Threads
$100 each? That is less than a half tank of gas these days. Get all of them and a couple spares.
Idk, I fill my vehicles all the time and it's less than $70 a fill up, anywho from what I can tell it's not the spindles, they all spin freely as do the tension pulleys. I made sure everything was spinning freely before I started today and it still threw the belt. Thanks for you input however.

jarbalojim

Forum Newbie
Threads
Every time I engage the PTO belt drive it throws the belt. What's weird is it's only the first or maybe 2nd time. I put the belt back on and it works fine until I shut it down for several minutes or overnight, then it throws it again. I put a new spring on it but that didn't help. Any ideas?
Before I started today I made sure everything was spinning freely and it still threw the belt. I put it back on and mowed pretty much non stop for 4hours. I'll pull the deck soon and double check every spindle and tension pulley but I don't think that's the problem. I put a new OEM belt and spring on, nothing helps. It might just be something I will have to live with until I buy a new mower. I do appreciate your input and help!

waltn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1054. After replacing worn belt, the new one would occasionally come off
on engagement. After putting up with this a couple months, went looking. Discovered a belt
guard on an idler pulley was put on incorrectly. Put in correct place and has not came off sense.
By the way , had no one blame but me.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Something is foul because a new machine doesn't do this. Difference is your machine has wear and tear right?

Like the other guys stated, you need to listen and feel the bearings. Get a stethoscope if you have to and listen to each bearing. A visual glance is not sufficient.

Either something is not installed proper, missing parts or you have Chinese parts not working like OEM parts.......

V-belts - You can buy 6 of the same size and brand. Six supposed identical belts. Don't care what brand you buy. Put them on your pulleys. None of them are the same length/size. Little smidge here and a little there. Belt sizing makes a difference.

Are you mowing with a belt cover installed? If yours has one? Maybe grass and junk are getting inside the pulleys and tossing a belt? Are you cutting tall pasture grass or a manicured lawn? Do you have a ton of clippings on top of the deck all the time? If so you need to cut more often.

jarbalojim

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a friend watch while I engaged the PTO, he said it looked like it jumped from the tensioner pulley. We noticed the bracket seemed to be loose. I removed the deck, took the bracket off, found stripped threads where it went thru the deck. I put a couple of washers to keep the nut away from the stripped threads, tighten it up, reinstalled and no more problems! Thanks guys for all you input!