1554 keeps throwing deck belt when first engaged

jarbalojim

Forum Newbie
Threads
Every time I engage the PTO belt drive it throws the belt. What's weird is it's only the first or maybe 2nd time. I put the belt back on and it works fine until I shut it down for several minutes or overnight, then it throws it again. I put a new spring on it but that didn't help. Any ideas?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have seen bearings to seize while sitting under tension. I know sounds dumb a bad place in a bearing may only show up on the initial startup. I have seen this to snap Kevlar belts on Husqvarna where the customer lost several belts before I found the idler pulley that was causing. I have learned to check these bearings by feel. If I feel even the slight catch I replace them.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have to agree with Star on this one. I’ve seen this more than once where the spindle bearing start out tight, but after they warm up no problems.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree on the worn parts. Replace all the bearings, idlers and spindles you have. If one is going the rest are not far away. Also use the OEM belt/s.

jarbalojim

Forum Newbie
Threads
Very
I have seen bearings to seize while sitting under tension. I know sounds dumb a bad place in a bearing may only show up on the initial startup. I have seen this to snap Kevlar belts on Husqvarna where the customer lost several belts before I found the idler pulley that was causing. I have learned to check these bearings by feel. If I feel even the slight catch I replace them.
Very good! I never thought of that, I will check all the bearings! Thank you!

jarbalojim

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have to agree with Star on this one. I’ve seen this more than once where the spindle bearing start out tight, but after they warm up no problems.
Excellent, thanks!

jarbalojim

Forum Newbie
Threads
Agree on the worn parts. Replace all the bearings, idlers and spindles you have. If one is going the rest are not far away. Also use the OEM belt/s.
The engine shroud has been pulled, everything cleaned, thanks. It has a new OEM belt and spring.

jarbalojim

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine shroud has been pulled, everything cleaned, thanks. It has a new OEM belt and spring.
The blade head splindles are $100- a piece if not more, I know for sure the outside 2 are fine but will check the tension pulley and inside spindle.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The blade head splindles are $100- a piece if not more, I know for sure the outside 2 are fine but will check the tension pulley and inside spindle.
$100 each? That is less than a half tank of gas these days. Get all of them and a couple spares.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I have one of these mystery problems , I grab the Go-Pro knock off camera , clamp it to the mower frame then go mow or in your case turn the PTO on & off till the belt comes off
then pop the memory card in the computer & play it back full speed to find where the belt jumped off , then rewind just that section and go through it a 1/2 speed
Don't be tempted to do it in single frame mode as 15 minutes in single frame takes about 10 hours to step through.
Some times I need to make a couple of videos if it looks like the problem was out of frame the first time.

Of course an assistant can be used to man the mower & in that case just be careful around the discharge side of the deck .