133412 0059 01 coil going out

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wood chipper, sight unseen. Just talking to a friend who lives over an hour away.

Discussing this over the phone. He pulled it out of storage and ran it for a while. Said he changed the plug (RJ19LM) removed the tank and cleaned out. Put it back on with fresh gas and fired it up. Said he ran it for about 10 minutes and shut it off. About 30 minutes later, it wouldn't start. So he removed the carb and cleaned it. It wasn't the carb.
The coil had burned out. So he put on another one. It started and ran fine. He shut it off for a little while, and then tried to start it again. It won't hit a lick, even with starter fluid. So we're thinking it's the coil again.
He said the coil he took off, looks like OEM.

So I'm wondering if something could be blowing out the coils? Bad on/off switch? Bad ground. He said the ground wasn't rusty, but it's not easy to get to. (Behind the chipper housing)

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If electric start could be shorting battery voltage to the kill wire when the key is shut off.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be a bare kill wire touching ground. Mice loves chewing on wires. But I have been seeing multiple posts on various forums where Briggs coils are failing or arriving dead lately. Lousy Chinese parts. And many after markets are even worst.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be a bare kill wire touching ground. Mice loves chewing on wires. But I have been seeing multiple posts on various forums where Briggs coils are failing or arriving dead lately. Lousy Chinese parts. And many after markets are even worst.

Something to do with the kill switch, maybe? Or one of those wires?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try a non resistor plug.

My guess is a super high resistance plug taxing the snot out of the coil making it draw max current, getting hot and or shorting some windings???? Test the plug resistance for grins.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try a non resistor plug.

My guess is a super high resistance plug taxing the snot out of the coil making it draw max current, getting hot and or shorting some windings???? Test the plug resistance for grins.

I finally told him to either bring it to me, or sell it.

If it sits for a while, (I don't know how long, because he leaves it for a couple days then takes another stab at it), it'll crank and run fine. When he shuts it off, and tries to restart it, he get's nothing. Even with starter fluid.
When it's running, it'll run for 30 minutes without missing a lick. So you're coil idea, which sounds accurate, makes me wonder why it keeps running. And only won't restart.
Is it because the coil has no choice, at operating speed?

Auto Doc's

Threads
Wood chipper, sight unseen. Just talking to a friend who lives over an hour away.

Discussing this over the phone. He pulled it out of storage and ran it for a while. Said he changed the plug (RJ19LM) removed the tank and cleaned out. Put it back on with fresh gas and fired it up. Said he ran it for about 10 minutes and shut it off. About 30 minutes later, it wouldn't start. So he removed the carb and cleaned it. It wasn't the carb.
The coil had burned out. So he put on another one. It started and ran fine. He shut it off for a little while, and then tried to start it again. It won't hit a lick, even with starter fluid. So we're thinking it's the coil again.
He said the coil he took off, looks like OEM.

So I'm wondering if something could be blowing out the coils? Bad on/off switch? Bad ground. He said the ground wasn't rusty, but it's not easy to get to. (Behind the chipper housing)
Check for a low oil sensor on the engine. If it has one, check and top off the oil level first. Next, disconnect it and see if the engine will fire up.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check for a low oil sensor on the engine. If it has one, check and top off the oil level first. Next, disconnect it and see if the engine will fire up.

It doesn't have an oil sensor on it.

From him, yesterday.

"Update: after we talked Wed..& chipper would not restart. Thurs I took carb off again and cleaned again...wire, carb spray, and air....also changed oil. Put back together..no start. Left it and went to Texarkana..back today...started rught up. Let run a min and shut off...started right back up...let run 3 min & turned off, started right back up...let run 5 min....started again...each start had to choke."