13 hp Tecumseh in an MTD 38" mower needs replacement

rocknrollgen

Forum Newbie
Threads
My OV358EA Tecumseh sent a rod on vacation out the side of the block so I'm looking for a replacement. This is a Model OV358EA, spec 206931F from about 2005. Rest of the mower is OK, it has a bagger so I would like to find a replacement engine if possible. I know Tecumseh engines are getting scarcer, very few blocks to be found and it would be prohibitive to put an engine together anyway but I thought I would give it a shot. I also thought given the scarcity of engines maybe someone has worked out a Briggs & Stratton replacement for the defunct Tecumseh. Any help out there? Thanks for any assistance anyone can give!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Direct interchange with most B & S engines around the same size
Lots of cheap engines under 15 Hp on the surplus engines sites
Worst thing you might need to do is cut the plugs off & replace them with common spade terminal ones unless you have an Auto electrican mate

rocknrollgen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Direct interchange with most B & S engines around the same size
Lots of cheap engines under 15 Hp on the surplus engines sites
Worst thing you might need to do is cut the plugs off & replace them with common spade terminal ones unless you have an Auto electrican mate
Thanks for the info bestmobile1. Are you saying that the B & S bolt pattern would work, pulley size from the Tecumseh ok etc? Any problem with the carb cabling that might be an issue? I can handle the electrical connectors I think.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In that power range, most engines used th same bolt pattern and if not usually the mower is drilled to take all available engines as the same chassis pressing is used for the entire range .
So if any more built on that chassis was availible with a Tecumseh, Honda, Briggs, Kohler Wisconsin , Suzuki or any other brand of engine the chassis is stamped to take it .
Way too expensive to make 5 different sets of press dies .
All domestic mowers will have a 1" PTO shaft .