11HP B&S surges on run, smooth on choke, tried everything - I think?.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 11HP B&S surges on run, smooth on choke, tried everything - I think?.
Naw Aussies are cheap
The average age of the mowers I fix is around 20 years and at least half are still running flat heads.
So mostly cheap single barrel carbs on single cylinder engines.
The only really new mowers I do are the 50 or so commercial customers with Toros, Scags Deere's & Walkers.
Even then there are 4 Great Dane Charriots in the commercial customers fleets
Oldest mower I work on apart from my own is 48 years old
Got a pile of Cox & Greenfields made in the 80's , 90's & 00's.
Probably because the roads are narrow so trailers have to be less than 72"s wide without a special wide load permit & we don't tow them behind 10 cylinder tank engines , Aussies do not seem to have the facination about monster decks that I see here.
Very few commercial bigger than 61" and most between 34" & 54"

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So far here I only one 34" ZTR and one 72" ZTR. Most are in the 50-61" range when it come to the ZTRs. Now most riders are usually in the 42-48" range.

As for the NIkki twin barrels I have been putting bushing in they have been on the Kawasaki horizontal on the JDs. I still don't understand how the choke wore in two as it isn't used other than at starting.

I just got in my first Kubota large ZTR Had a 48" deck but was brought in without the deck as it is having just engine problems. Besides the customer couldn't get it on his truck as it was wider than his wheel wells. And I just repaired a 48" Walker stand on within the last month.

Actually don't see many flat heads here now as they seem to all have died off.

svlawnmower

Threads
To everyone commenting...

Yeah, I agree, I prefer rebuilding the carburetor, which I did, but I was still having the same issue - and thought since I checked nearly everything, that the carb may be bad. I had cleaned the checked the fuel pump but didn't notice parts were missing at the time. Second time around I ordered the kit and hopefully that will be the clincher-solution. With the exception of the vacuum tube, the fuel lines are new and I had cleaned the tank and the filtering tank valve prior to posting here. I did put the old carburetor back on and modified the mixture screw so I could adjust it. Once the fuel pump kit gets here then I will try again.

I don't typically order replacement parts from Amazon, but did in this case. Typically, if I don't order from the Mfg., I usually have success with Jack's or eReplacement. I don't order from eBay unless I just can't find it.

Bigyard

Forum Newbie
Threads
You might try running it with the gas cap off to see if it runs ok. The breather hole or rubber flap valve in the cap may be plugged up.
Does the hole have a white deposit around it?

svlawnmower

Threads
You might try running it with the gas cap off to see if it runs ok. The breather hole or rubber flap valve in the cap may be plugged up.
Does the hole have a white deposit around it?

Hi, the cap looks good.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, the cap looks good.
But does the cap vent work? If you get one of those cheap carb needle and seat pressure testers off ebay, you can test carbs, gas tanks and gas caps.

slomo

svlawnmower

Threads
Well I could get a tester. The fuel pump kit didn't make a difference. I guess maybe I need to clean the carburetor again maybe use a couple suggestions here.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I could get a tester. The fuel pump kit didn't make a difference. I guess maybe I need to clean the carburetor again maybe use a couple suggestions here.
Capture.PNG