10T802 running rich

Oldengineangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone I'm relatively new to the small engine repair world. Got an issue with a Briggs 10T802 I picked up at the local dump. It was full of water everywhere. I cleared that all out, cleaned out everything, replaced the carb with a new one, started it up and it ran erratically. I re set the governor, got new governor spring. The compression is kinda low, around 65. I redid the valves including grinding the stem a little to get the gaps back to normal and lapping them both. Now it starts easily but runs a little low on the rpms and occasionally misses. The spark plug (new) has the powdery black look of running rich.

Is there any way of adjusting the carb on these? It looks like there's no adjustment available and it runs pretty much wide open throttle. The carb came with a long plastic tube sticking out of one of the holes, is that necessary to keep? It interferes with the air cleaner on mine so I took it off. The old one didn't have one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
None of the carbs are adjustable.
What you are describing sounds more like a Tecumseh carb than a 10 series Briggs.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Does it have the plastic carb on the gas tank, with an Air vane governor?

Oldengineangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Whoops I'm getting mixed up between another mower I'm working on which is a Tecumseh so yes the carb with the red tube is a Tecumseh. Is that red tube necessary? The governor is not an air vane type, it's inside the crankcase ( I guess centrifugal type).

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Does it have the plastic carb on the gas tank, with an Air vane governor?

Whoops I'm getting mixed up between another mower I'm working on which is a Tecumseh so yes the carb with the red tube is a Tecumseh. Is that red tube necessary? The governor is not an air vane type, it's inside the crankcase ( I guess centrifugal type).

Oh okay, i was just asking since the 10 series briggs uses that set up, so we could clarify what you were working on. :wink:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Yes it is the bowl vent tube.
If air can not get into the carb then fuel can not get out.