10HP Cant get Fuel

daltojamesl

Threads
Hello, I have a briggs 10hp i/c OHV and I cannot get gas to flow in any of the lines. I have replaced all of the lines, fuel filter, cleaned the tank, the line inside of the tank and also the carb. If I spray starting fluid or that inside of the engine it will fire and then die due to lack of fuel. I have tried everything that I know of, since I am fairly new at this any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have attached photos of the engine to this

Attachments

• 271488236_5073387296026722_4918609774358303638_n.jpg
    271488236_5073387296026722_4918609774358303638_n.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 271190982_265672242270330_8503162365764772528_n.jpg
    271190982_265672242270330_8503162365764772528_n.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 17

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Need the engine's number off the rocker cover to start with to see to setup of the engine.

You have verified that it is a fuel delivery problem. It can be a failed anti afterfire solenoid. IE not retracting due to being gummed up or other failure. Can't see the carburetor fully so I don't if you have one or not. First let's find out if fuel is making it to the carburetor which clear the fuel pump and tank lines. Also you should one of the fuel line clamps at the carburetor back to the fuel pump to prevent leaks.

If no fuel from the pump then verify that the tank's pickup hasn't broken off. Be carefully as the tank bushing can be old and crumbly. IF the tank line is fine and verify that pump is receiving its vacuum impulses. If it is and the pump is not pumping then the pump is bad.

I had strange year last with several pump failures. I went 12 yrs without a single pump failure then last year happen. I done replace two this year already but those were for breakage due to recoil handle catching the lines.

Last edited:

daltojamesl

Threads
Need the engine's number off the rocker cover to start with to see to setup of the engine.

You have verified that it is a fuel delivery problem. It can be a failed anti afterfire solenoid. IE not retracting due to being gummed up or other failure. Can't see the carburetor fully so I don't if you have one or not. First let's find out if fuel is making it to the carburetor which clear the fuel pump and tank lines. Also you should one of the fuel line clamps at the carburetor back to the fuel pump to prevent leaks.

If no fuel from the pump then verify that the tank's pickup has broken off. Be carefully as the tank bushing can be old and crumbly. IF the tank line is fine and verify that pump is receiving its vacuum impulses. If it is and the pump is not pumping then the pump is bad.

I had strange year last with several pump failures. I went 12 yrs without a single pump failure then last year happen. I done replace two this year already but those were for breakage due to recoil handle catching the lines.
it does have a carb. i have cleaned it. Fuel does not even make it out of the tank into the first line. Im guessing the fuel pump is shot?

daltojamesl

Threads
it does have a carb. i have cleaned it. Fuel does not even make it out of the tank into the first line. Im guessing the fuel pump is shot?
i just took another tank and ran a line straight to the carb and the engine fired up and then died. so may have more than one issue here lol

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you verify that the tank pick up tube is intack? They do break off from age. If intack then it is likely the fuel pump provide that the impulse line is getting impulses. Note the rocker cover must on and sealed along the oil dipstick in place. Breather valve could be problem if the above is as it should be but they rarely fail.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you blow back through the fuel line from the tank ?
If not it is clogged and that is very common on old engines .

daltojamesl

Threads
Can you blow back through the fuel line from the tank ?
If not it is clogged and that is very common on old engines .
yes i can blow though the fuel line. I replaced all of them but still it will not pull any fuel

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you blow through the fuel line do you hear your air bubbleing in the tank ?

chutch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had a similar problem, found a slug about the size of a quarter, would vibrate under the pickup in gas tank and the vacuum from the fuel pump would suck it up and block the fuel flow.

Joed756

Threads
I think the float in your carb. is stuck.simply remove the bowl and look.