10525 Lawnboy no start issues

FuzzyDriver

Threads
If you do the 'run it out of gas' trick you may never have to work on the carburetor ever. At least do it like Rivets suggests, if you're as OCD as me then do it every time. And thanks for letting me know those DurafForces don't come with fuel shut offs. I had one twenty years ago and forgot that detail, now I'm strictly F-engine up until (but not including) DuraForce.. :)

intruder1500

Threads
So this morning....turn fuel shutoff on....prime button once...choke on....starts first pull. So ......tried my other 10525 same procedure and started first pull. So looks like the primer bulb was damaged or I cleared the line of a blockage with pressurized air. Either way I'm a happy camper!

rtr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have this mower and had the same experience. It's you needle and seat in the carb not sealing. It will leak all the fuel in the tank to the crankcase when sitting. If it happens you pull the plug, spin it over a few times and reinstall the plug. It'll start and smoke heavily for a minute.
My fix was adding a fuel shut off and using it every time I put the machine away. Problem solved.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Shut off valves are band aids, not repairs. Once you forget to shut it off you’re back to square one. Best to fix it right the first time.

Biddaddydan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could be primer, but also give some thought into the time difference between trying to start it right away and getting starting fluid and taking the filter off.

When you are done mowing, do you shut the gas off and run it until it dies? If you do (I do) then when you go to start the mower, when you turn the gas on you need to wait a couple minutes for the bowl to get gas. This could be the time that passes between trying to start it, and taking the filter off and retrieving the starting fluid.

In case you are wondering why I run it out of gas every time I mow, it's to completely empty out the carburetor. With no fuel in it, there's no fuel that can evaporate and leave oil behind. I have not had to touch my 'daily-driver' carburetor for years since i started doing that.
I have done the same with great success but also added a fuel filter that is replaced every 50 hours and only use ethanol-free fuel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Shut off valves are band aids, not repairs. Once you forget to shut it off you’re back to square one. Best to fix it right the first time.
Band aids if that is all you do
Insurance if you do the job properly and fix the carb first
The biggest mower company down here Victa that once had 80% of the local market & exported to every country on the planet except Canada , USA & Mexico fitted taps to all of their mower tanks

FuzzyDriver

Threads
I'm going to toss my two cents worth in also, though it might not be worth that much... ;)

Let's say you're carburetor float/valve is perfect...the float shuts off flow, and at just the right level.... Now push the mower back to the garage. Every time you hit a bump, every time you push the handle down so you can turn it, every time you jostle it around in the garage, the float bounces around in the bowl letting a little more fuel in, fuel that you aren't burning since the engine isn't running. Sure, the jet lets in only a tiny flow...but for how many days until the level comes back down to the normal shut off level? Where does that extra fuel end up?

While drawing that gloomy picture, let's make the horror yet more nefarious, gentlemen...you're out to mow again and you decide you need to scrape that nasty brown grass cake from under the deck. So you turn your mower on its side and go after it with an evil scraper. Or you may feel the chaotic urge to sharpen that grass amputating blade under there. Or, heck, maybe you just want to check to see if you need to scrape or sharpen at all.

With any of these normal mower happenings you would be better off if you had run it out of gas the last time you shut it off.

intruder1500

Threads
Well so much for a fixed issue. Went to start both 10525's after sitting 2 weeks and no go. Both plugs wet....looks like carb may have drained into tank and flooded engine. Potentially needle and seat issue in both. Got them both running with a spark plug change. Ran both with fuel shutoff until they quit. Will see what happens when I go to cut the grass. If they both start right away then it looks like a carb issue. Also poured some sea foam into both tanks. Will keep you posted.

intruder1500

Threads
A week later. Well I guess I know what's going on with both of my 10525's now. Turned on the fuel valve and then a couple of pumps on the primer bulb. Both mowers started on the first pull. Looks like both of them need a needle and seat in the carb. Put it on the list!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Gee, are you back to square one as I warned?