Walk behind 10515 mag coil multimeter ohm test reading

willyp33

Threads
I'm trying to test my coil on my 10515 Lawn boy. . I need to know the ohm reading on a good coil. A utube video shows a good reading on a briggs coil tested between 2.5 to 5.0 set at 20k. My coil tests @ 1.2 ohms. I did try grounding my plug to the engine block and spinning the flywheel and no spark and the grounding wire is disconnected. Another u tube video explains to buy oem parts and stay away from made in china parts @ 75% less.
Thanks Guys
Willy

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm trying to test my coil on my 10515 Lawn boy. . I need to know the ohm reading on a good coil. A utube video shows a good reading on a briggs coil tested between 2.5 to 5.0 set at 20k. My coil tests @ 1.2 ohms. I did try grounding my plug to the engine block and spinning the flywheel and no spark and the grounding wire is disconnected. Another u tube video explains to buy oem parts and stay away from made in china parts @ 75% less.
Thanks Guys
Willy

Because of the electric ignition modules, ohm metere readigs are only good on the secondary windings -plug lead to coil ground.
So unless this is a points ignition forget ohm meter readings.

As for aftermarket parts, buy them from a mower shop. They too will be made in China but they will come from a factory who makes parts to a specification and from a dealer who will replace faulty ones.
Buying parts from China on line is like playing slot machines, it might seem like you are winning but ultimately you loose.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert nailed it, follow his advise.

willyp33

Threads
Because of the electric ignition modules, ohm metere readigs are only good on the secondary windings -plug lead to coil ground.
So unless this is a points ignition forget ohm meter readings.

As for aftermarket parts, buy them from a mower shop. They too will be made in China but they will come from a factory who makes parts to a specification and from a dealer who will replace faulty ones.
Buying parts from China on line is like playing slot machines, it might seem like you are winning but ultimately you loose.
kss

Thanks Mr. B I got the mower running with the original coil . I have no clue why I could not see a spark before I took the coil off. Now I'm not sure if I replaced the carb correctly.. I'm now getting like oil specks appearing on the deck around the carb after cutting for about 20 minutes, also there is lite smoke appearing while cooling down, around the air filter. The thin plastic rectangular piece goes where? I put it between the carb body and the motor.
There was a gasket still visible on the motor and a gasket on the carb body. This plastic piece seemed to retain the screws while installing the carb.
What do you think is going on with the smoke and oil spits on the deck? Thanks Wp

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
kss

Thanks Mr. B I got the mower running with the original coil . I have no clue why I could not see a spark before I took the coil off. Now I'm not sure if I replaced the carb correctly.. I'm now getting like oil specks appearing on the deck around the carb after cutting for about 20 minutes, also there is lite smoke appearing while cooling down, around the air filter. The thin plastic rectangular piece goes where? I put it between the carb body and the motor.
There was a gasket still visible on the motor and a gasket on the carb body. This plastic piece seemed to retain the screws while installing the carb.
What do you think is going on with the smoke and oil spits on the deck? Thanks Wp

That is why we use spark testers as the spark from a plug can be very hard to see.
Neon tube type to check if it is there and adjustable electrode type to test the strength.

Little specks of oil will most likely be from the crankcase breather.
The tubes split easily and some are a bit tricky to connect properly.

I have no idea about a thin plastic piece , Breather reed valves are strips of metal or plastic but without a photo or part number , no idea.

The lite smoke will be little specks of oil splashing on the barrel and burning off.
A tiny amount of oil makes a lot of smoke.
When the engine is running the flow of cooling air disperses the small amount of smoke so you don't notice it.