10.5 hp intek wont run

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yep, i'd check the valve lash next, give us the engine model number and we can get the proper specification for you. Or something else is throwing off ignition timing

jimigunne

Threads
Stupid question, is it possible that the coil is mounted upside down? Most Briggs engines have the kill wire termial on the bottom. You did state you replaced the coil. May be wrong, it happened once before I think.
Maybe it is upside down. Will flip it around and see what happens.

jimigunne

Threads
Yea I think it was installed upside down. I flipped it over and no longer get kickback when pulled. Put some starting spray in spark hole again. And when pulled it made one single pop which went out the intake with puff of smoke. So thats a good sign. But after that it did not fire at all. And again cant get any pops when a bit is sprayed in carb intake.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, second stupid question. How fresh is you gas and have you checked for water in the gas? Crack open the bolt on the bottom of the carb and drain about 5 oz into a clean glass jar. Cover and shake vigorously. Any bubbles or foam indicates water in the gas.

jimigunne

Threads
Drained out all old gas from tank and lines, its a new carb no.2 from amazon, theres no clog in the line. Filled tank with very fresh gas which is high dollar ethanol free.

jimigunne

Threads
About the magneto coil: i looked at manual but didnt find where its stated how to adjust the position for any model. So maybe spark is not optimal. Is there a specific gap required? In fact i dont know what engine models pertain to what i got since it speaks of 1500 , 2000 series or some such but my engine is....
B&S 21R706-0112 E1. 10.5 hp intek

jimigunne

Threads
Another engine issue......the rabbit/turtle speed control hasnt worked for the last couple of years. It was just starting and running at the usual proper high speed for cutting, so we didnt worry about not having an idle setting. See the attached pic. The linkage doesnt make sense as it is! The little lever that actuates the outside butterfly plate can only push the plate closed. But then it cant open it again as the paper-clip shaped link arm doesnt directly connect to the actuator arm as you can see. Is there maybe supposed to be a spring to force the plate back open as the actuator arm travels forward? This is normal for there to be no direct connection?

Attachments

• 20201108_081212.jpg
    20201108_081212.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201108_084429.jpg
    20201108_084429.jpg
    807.2 KB · Views: 3

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Coil air gap should be .010”. Most DYI use a business card to set, which does work. Push the throttle control all the way to choke the engine, the front butterfly should be closed. Pull back the control to high speed and that butterfly should open. Let me know what happens.

jimigunne

Threads
Coil air gap should be .010”. Most DYI use a business card to set, which does work. Push the throttle control all the way to choke the engine, the front butterfly should be closed. Pull back the control to high speed and that butterfly should open. Let me know what happens.
Yea, i see that the cotrol arm on front butterfly has an unused hole. If a spring was installed there, it would open after being choked/ closed. As it is it doesnt reopen. I could find some spring easy enough but theres no fixed anchor point for the spring.

jimigunne

Threads
Ok i adjusted gap on magneto coil to credit card thickness. Still we could not get it to fire even once. Put a little starter fluid into intake side of carb, but still nothing. But i did get one strong pop when i put the fluid into the sparkplug hole.
What is the positioning of the front butterfly plate when fully choked supposed to be? Im assuming we need full choke for it to start since engine is cold. With the adjustment it has now, its still open about 1/8 inch. Should we adjust cable so it moves fully closed?