Recent content by lowmow

  1. L

    Question about parts cleaner chemical

    I had some cleaner that smelled like creosote and it cleaned everything very well. It rinsed clean, and turned white when the water hit it. It had been in my shop for over 10 years, and on a clean up craze one day, I discarded it. Cannot find a good substitute. In days gone by, ('70's) we would...
  2. L

    Front Wheel Bearings

    I have an MTD garden tractor from 1980.It had plastic bushings and they wore out after a couple of years. I decided I would improve the front end quite a bit ,so I bought a set of boat trailer spindles with bearings, cut off the old spindles, cut the new axles to the same length, and put golf...
  3. L

    Kohler 7000 Extremely Dark Oil

    Sounds like the engine cut off solenoid may be leaking, causing the engine to flood a little after shut down. This will cause blowby of the fuel past the rings and dilute the oil which will further damage the engine. A dirty or missing air cleaner could allow dirty air into the engine, so check...
  4. L

    ULTRASONIC CLEANING

    An object to be cleaned can be placed in a separate container and it will still work the same as directly in the liquid in the tank. A metal or glass container, or any container with a solid material will work. The object must be covered in liquid and the container must not touch the bottom of...
  5. L

    ULTRASONIC CLEANING

    Check the fuel filter in the tank. It is frequently overlooked. The engine sounds like it is starving for gas. Any restriction will cause this, even a clogged vent hole in the fuel tank cap.
  6. L

    ULTRASONIC CLEANING

    I have an old (1980's still going strong) 250 watt ultrasonic cleaner. Made by American Beauty. The principle of ultrasonic cleaning is the cavitation bubbles it creates and then collapsing The collapse is a tiny explosion and can damage anything if left too long, ship propellers, pump...
  7. L

    mowing deck won't go up or down

    If you run the mower raised up a little bit above ground, sometimes the actuator will seize up, and the height spacers will have to be cut and removed before you can move the cylinder. This is because the deck is bouncing up and down on every bump, hammering the spacers into the top of stroke...
  8. L

    Leak from bottom. I have a GH 526v/52 that has an oil leak from bottom of engine area.B&S 26 Hp Engine.

    Can anyone provide a complete, legible electrical schematic for a GH 526v/52? Most I have seen are blurred in the finer details. Thanks in advance for all help on this.
  9. L

    Loosening exhaust bolts

    To clean dirty threads on old bolt hole, cut a notch in your old bolt at the very end with a hacksaw, but only cut on one side of the threads. This will give the crud somewhere to go instead of jamming the threads. It might take several passes to clean a really clogged hole. After cleaning...
  10. L

    Leak from bottom. I have a GH 526v/52 that has an oil leak from bottom of engine area.B&S 26 Hp Engine.

    There are many ways to skin a cat as the old saying goes and I can pull the engine. I figured that people with many years of experience might have a shortcut or easy way to do it. A friend showed me how to replace a throw out bearing and clutch in a truck without having to put a 500 pound...
  11. L

    Leak from bottom. I have a GH 526v/52 that has an oil leak from bottom of engine area.B&S 26 Hp Engine.

    Leak from bottom. I have a GH 526v/52 that has an oil leak from bottom of engine area. Cannot find source of leak. B&S 26 Hp Engine. Can engine oil seal be replaced without removing engine? If not, can someone please provide guidance on removing engine? Thanks in advance for all time and...
  12. L

    Obsolete SCAG Idler arm assembly #46145

    That does not look like a steel bushing,it looks like the top of the bronze bushing.What is the condition of the idler support shaft? You can mike the shaft and hole where it is not worn and order bushing accordingly.Send me the dimensions and I will try to find a bushing for you.Heavy duty...
  13. L

    CV15S cylinder damage

    I would replace the rings.I think it would be silly no to since the piston is already out.Look for scarring on the piston skirt in the area of the missing chunk,and check the rod for bending and check the big end for out-of round and proper clearances.I use Plasti-Gauge:link below...
  14. L

    exmark quest

    Where are you measuring the battery voltage?On the battery post itself or on the cable connector on the battery post?Use the battery post itself,not the cable at the battery. Hold the key on for a minute or so, and feel for a warm or hot connection on all connection points.The inside of the...
  15. L

    Briggs mower with reverse shaft output powered by an extended cam shaft.

    Years ago,I can't remember exactly when,I rebuilt a Briggs self propelled push mower with reverse,where reverse was powered by an extended camshaft and pulley.The shaft of course ran at 1/2 engine speed,but it simplified the implementation of reverse and gave a safe reverse speed. Has anyone...
Back
Top