ZT52HD DECK VIBRATION FIX

Woody99

Threads
After reading your post, I checked mine, and it seems pretty snug already. I did have mine in the shop for the vibration and it's very possible that part of their "fix" was to tighten these. On one side, it looks like the nut may have been rotated a notch, but I can't see the other one well enough to see if there is anything has been moved to a different slot.
It's been a few months since usage, but we'll see if the alterations made last fall still work this spring.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because if you would read the thread you would see that a member with a similar problem came back with a comment on his original posting.

Cphillips82

Threads
Just mowed for the first time since last November. Before cutting today I took my blades off, gave them a nice edge and put them back on. There was as little vibration or rattle today as I’ve ever had with this machine, actually there was none. I’m not totally sure if its the way I aligned the blades but nothing else has changed since the fall but it was a pleasant surprise and a great first mow of the season.

Woody99

Threads
I'd say mine's doing ok so far this season. Like I mentioned before, the dealer put whatever the factory recommended on. At first it was just marginally better, but after moving the blades, it's not so bad now. There is some type of "chirp" that I didn't hear before, but maybe I couldn't hear it over the rattle previously.
I haven't sharpened the blades yet this spring, but when I do, I'm going to see if the rattle comes back.

gravelyzthd52

Threads
I’m happy to say that so far may deck rattle is 99.9% gone.

I’ve worked with my dealer and directly with Gravely for over two years to resolve this problem and both have been great.

Over the course of this time the deck and all mounting hardware have been completely replaced on my mower (including the deck shell). This includes having the anti-vibration kit installed and new blades.

Nothing resolved the problem until recently my dealer mentioned that the only thing that had not been completely replaced on the deck were the spindles. After replacing the spindles the rattle is now gone except for every once and while I will hear it very lightly, to the point of if it had never been as bad as it was you would never notice it.

It’s great to enjoy mowing again with no rattle noises and fingers crossed that the rattle doesn’t come back. I don’t think it will but at least if it does I know it’s the spindles.

if you’re still having this problem either call Arien’s customer support directly or contact your dealer about replacing your spindles.

Woody99

Threads
Mine is much better now too, and I have to say the dealer and Gravely tech support have all be very helpful. After the kit was installed, and a couple more things done by the dealer, the noise from the deck isn't obtrusive like it had been.
One factor that seemed to have helped too is removing the big heavy Gator mulching blades. They are well balanced, but I think added to the vibrations. I put factory mulching blades on, and removed the discharge chute blocker, and it's working well.
Gravely was nice enough to add another year warranty to the mower too. Good folks.

dcgou

Forum Newbie
Threads
My left side deck vibration was resolved by removing the small cover and placing a rubber grommet over the metal screw that was vibrating against the cover. 100% resolution.

Woody99

Threads
If you know anyone looking for a discharge chute blocker, let me know.

79210300 Operator Controlled Chute Kit and 3 Gator Mulching Blades

coder

Threads
I wonder how well the "factory new" blades are balanced? We assume that they are near perfect. I have deck rattle and vibration on my brand new Apex 52. Have not really analyzed yet.
but it is very noticeable compared to my 20 years old Scotts tractor, which run smooth as butter.
I have a power bagger on mine, I assumed it was that... I have a super-duper ball bearing based blade balance checker,
will take off an balance all the blades first and see what happens...

I have just a a couple of hours on the mower. I notice the deck drive belt is dancing/whipping around a bit on the left side of the PTO.
I have only seen something like this in situations when a belt is too loose. I had a very similar problem on my Scotts powerflow bagger drive belt.
The local tractor place had a series of Kevlar belts in various lengths. I just replaced the belt with another, 2" shorter, and the problem
instantly went away. Maybe a shorter belt here may also help? Given the tensioning pulley, it would just not push into the shorter belt quite as deep, and the belt tension
would be a bit tighter. I would trade that for the current vibration.

The right side that is being pulled by the PTO is nice and tight, but the left side seems loose as it is coming off of the PTO.
My impression is that the belt tensioning pulley simply does not tension the belt enough. Unfortunately I do not see any adjustability of the belt tensioner. A heavier spring, or mounting the
tensioning pulley at a different position on the tensioning arm?

Some people in this thread mention a Deck anti-vibration kit. Any more info on this? If I call my dealer, I have to pay them $40 to pick up the mower to look at it, and I anticipate they will
just tell me "they are all like that, its fine" . So I am thinking of contacting Ariens/Gravely first, see if they are willing to send me the anti vibration update whatever that may be.
Thoughts? What is the best strategy attacking this ?

Last edited:

bullet bob

Threads
Doesn't cost you $40 to CALL your dealer....