ZT Elite Spindle Replacement

ILLINI4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can't separate the pully from the spindle shaft in order to remove the spindle. They are frozen together and no amount of hammering will break them loose. Any suggestions?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Got to be careful beating on things like this. You got the know what you are doing as you can mushroom the spindle shaft making thing impossible to get apart easily.

You should be using a puller to remove the pulley. That what the two holes are for (besides being drain holes) and even then you might damage the pulley if it is stuck badly from rust.
1651318029104.png

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Expand the bore diameter by applying heat in the V groove as the pulley is rotated . If it moves then stops when applying pressure the shaft has got too hot so stop heat , cool all back to ambient temperature and repeat .

Do not apply heat where it is stuck no matter what someone may tell ya .

lugbolt

Threads
I assume you loosened the set screws underneath? There are 1 or 2 in the pulley UNDER where the belt goes. Then there's a collar between the pulley and the spindle, and it often has a set screw in it as well. Loosen it. Hard to see, harder to get to. HOPEFULLY they'll come loose.

If they are loose, and it's still stuck (and it's not uncommon), I usually put a wooden wedge under the pulley, or two of them if you have two, drive them in and put some upward pressure on the pulley. Not enough to bend it but just enough to put some pressure on it. Now put the bolt in, without the washers. Air hammer works well to drive the bolt and spindle shaft downward and out of the spindle housing. A manual hammer will work too but it's obviously "manual".

If that doesn't work, just cut the pulley off.

ILLINI4

Forum Newbie
Threads
I assume you loosened the set screws underneath? There are 1 or 2 in the pulley UNDER where the belt goes. Then there's a collar between the pulley and the spindle, and it often has a set screw in it as well. Loosen it. Hard to see, harder to get to. HOPEFULLY they'll come loose.

If they are loose, and it's still stuck (and it's not uncommon), I usually put a wooden wedge under the pulley, or two of them if you have two, drive them in and put some upward pressure on the pulley. Not enough to bend it but just enough to put some pressure on it. Now put the bolt in, without the washers. Air hammer works well to drive the bolt and spindle shaft downward and out of the spindle housing. A manual hammer will work too but it's obviously "manual".

If that doesn't work, just cut the pulley off.
Thanks - I'm at the cut the pulley off stage.

BigBlueEdge

Threads
Definitely look for set screws. Possibly multiple. I was attempting to remove the pulley from the hydro pumps last year to check for the recall notice on my Rogue (key installed at factory was potentially too short) and couldn't get it off even after loosening a set screw. Instead of destroying things I brought it to the dealer for them to inspect and it was then I learned that those pulleys have two set screws.

Rob