z925m kohler ecv740efi engine exchange

Grass226

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there another replacement engine I can use in my 925m other than the Kohler ecv740efi?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What’s wrong with your current engine?
Sure, you can replace it. You will need to match up the crankshaft end dimensions.

Grass226

Forum Newbie
Threads
I meant is there another brand or engine size that will work properly with the EFI system.
Thank you.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I meant is there another brand or engine size that will work properly with the EFI system.
Thank you.
If it were my mower, I would replace with a carbureted engine. Why don’t you talk to your John Deere Ag and Turf dealer?

Last edited:

Grass226

Forum Newbie
Threads
I called my local John Deere dealership and spent an extended time on hold in the parts and service departments without getting a clear answer. I thought there may be someone on this forum who may have made the switch from EFI to a carburetor. I have a good 26 HP motor that I would like to put on the mower, but I also believe the EFI mowers have a crank sensor and other wiring that a motor with a carburetor will not have. Thank you,

D

Deleted member 97405

Unless you're prepared to rewire your whole machine to clone another model that has a carbureted engine, the short answer is you're wasting your time, unfortunately. My suggestion would be to sell your machine if it's running and get another model with a carbureted Kawasaki engine on it. If it's not running, cut your loss and put that money into a new or newer one with a Kawasaki. Just my professional opinion from a dealership standpoint. Hope this helps. Good luck in whatever you choose!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I called my local John Deere dealership and spent an extended time on hold in the parts and service departments without getting a clear answer. I thought there may be someone on this forum who may have made the switch from EFI to a carburetor. I have a good 26 HP motor that I would like to put on the mower, but I also believe the EFI mowers have a crank sensor and other wiring that a motor with a carburetor will not have. Thank you,
You can delete some of that wiring. Wiring to the key switch will have to be sorted out. If fact, all of the wiring will have to be figured out. The major issue is going to be the diameter and length of the crankshaft tailpiece. Going with a carbureted Kohler would be easier than switching to a Vanguard or Kawasaki.
@Will1988 has a good suggestion about selling it for what you can get out of it and buy a new or nearly new mower with a carbureted engine.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would suggest calling Small Engine Warehouse and explain your problem. Be prepared to give the engine numbers from your existing Kohler engine. Also, have the engine numbers from your spare engine. Doing this will give you some idea on how to proceed.
Again, crankshaft tailpiece length is important.