Z724 PTO Issue

Deltc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having some issues with my Z724. The engine runs with no issues. Fuel system maintained and serviced. After engaging the PTO the mower will operate like normal. However, after a period of time mowing (varies on how long) the whole system including the engine will start to shut off. If I disengage the PTO while it is shutting down the engine will stay on. No issues driving the mower around after the PTO shut off.

Things I've already done:
- replaced PTO switch. The old one showed no signs of damage or melting
- puled PTO clutch and tested resistance. Came in at 2.2 so I don't believe there is a short
- checked all fuses and all were fine.

Feel like there is an electrical issue somewhere but not sure where. Is it possible the PTO is still bad despite there not being an apparent short? Getting too hot?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep you have an electrical issue.
Most likely the regulator is toast.
Check that it is grounded properly
Check the voltage at the battery with the blades running after about 1 minute
It should read 13.5V DC to 15,5 V DC.

lugbolt

Threads
Take the fuel shut off valve out of the fuel tank. If the tank is full be prepared to make a mess. Then, blow air backwards (from the engine fuel line side) through the shutoff valve. See what comes out. I would bet there is a restriction inside the valve.

Deltc

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I put the PTO back on I ran into another issue. The PTO ended up seizing up and had to work it off. I finally had to get a puller to get the top part of the clutch off the crankshaft.

I got a new PTO clutch but it does not fit. Would the seized PTO have done damage to the crankshaft? I had some burs on the key smoothed those out. I cannot get the clutch to slide over the shaft. Feels like the hole is too small. I also took the part of the new clutch that would slide into the key but ran into the same problem. It did not fit.