Z4202 Fuel Consumption Increase

LaurenceC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, All. I have a 2009 Z4202, owned since new and have been meticulous with servicing. Done about 350-360 hours on the Kohler Courage, which purrs like a kitten. I have observed a noticeable increase in fuel consumption over the last 3-4 months. I have also noticed the exhaust smells a bit rich. I intend to adjust the valves (for the first time) to see if that improves the situation Does anyone have other suggestions? And, as a final, but not unrelated, query - has anyone fitted a fuel gauge to their Z4202?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just throwing it out there, how clean is the air filter ?
Air Filter is often overlooked yet most important in keeping your engine running clean, cool, & smooth.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Air Filter is often overlooked yet most important in keeping your engine running clean, cool, & smooth.
Agreed, plus when was last time the engine housing removed to do a cleaning under it ?

Threads
Check idle Rpm, clean around engine, check air filter, Fuel Filter, carb may need adjusted, valve clearance, plugs, check the all cables are adjusted correctly, there several reasons for this issue start with the simplest and move foward.

grumpyunk

Threads
I would be checking the float height. To do so involves removing the carb and the float bowl. Then flip it upside down and view across the float and the lower edge of the carb body. Generally the float body should be parallel to the edge where the float bowl gasket seals. If the float appears to be sagging in relation to the edge of the gasket surface, it will be a bit too high when the carb is returned to normal orientation. Wear on the seat and/or needle sealing area can allow the effective height of the float when in use to be a bit higher, and that will make it easier for the engine to pull a bit more fuel into the intake.
To change the height, metal tabs can be bent slightly to lower the float working height. If you have plastic float, the heat will need to be applied to the tab. Some use a screwdriver that has been heated by something like a Bernz-O-Matic torch, which is then applied to the tab to make it pliable.
Of course, replacing the needle & seat should restore original float level.
I have a Kohler that decided it wanted to flush the fuel tank one time. The garage smelled like gasoline and made me concerned. I replaced the needle & seat(had to buy a $50 kit...), and two things happened. Fuel consumption went down significantly, and I no longer had fuel smell in the garage.
I also added a manual shutoff valve in the fuel line which I use religiously. I am a fervent believer in not having liquid fuel running around the garage.
tom