Fuel YTS4000 Fuel Problem

Ga-Bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all...
I got a second hand Craftsman YTS4000 24hp/46"cut mower & haven't been able to get it to crank. I've been 'foolin' with B&S engines for 25+ years, but never had one with a fuel pump - so this is new to me...
The mowers only a few years old, but previous owner let it sit un-used for the last 2 yrs he had it.
After searching other posts here, I found out that one problem I had was the piston in the fuel cut-off switch(connected to carb) was stuck. It wouldn't open/close when getting the 12v when turning the key switch. I've cleaned that up with carb cleaner & the switch is workin fine now.
Then, I was only getting a trickle of gas coming from the fuel line to carb. So I replaced the fuel pump & filter. The filter is clear plastic. I noticed that there's only a trickle getting to the filter from the tank. Then, I noticed that it looks like someone had pulled the black plastic pipe (don't know the name) out of the tank as it didn't seem to be pushed all the way into the tank's hole. Nothing seems to be blocking the flow because I can blow air through all of the lines. I pushed the pipe back in. Now I don't even get a trickle of gas into the filter when trying to crank.
Do I need to do some kind of priming somewhere?

Please excuse the length here...
(Jets in carb may also be clogged but haven't got that far yet.)
Thanks y'all in advance:smile:
Ga-Bill

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fuel supply line, or pick up tube, check fuel tank for contamination, dirt,particles, trash.