YTH48” Riding mower running slow

Schoquette2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Help would be much appreciated!!

So the mower starts fine. Cuts fine. It drives much slower than normal. Drive belt seems a little loose but seems ok to me really. No debris under brake lever to impede driving. New air filter and spark plug.
it seems I smell gas when it is running.

Also, after it has been running for a while when I turn it off and try to crank it immediately after I have to use full choke to get it to start again.
Any idea what I can start with to attempt to fix before bringing it for repair?

Thank you!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
“” Drive belt seems a little loose but seems ok to me really.”” If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard this, I’d be fully retired and probably not on this form. It takes a very experienced eye to evaluate a belt by sight and feel, and then mistakes are made. How long has it been since the belt was replaced? Over 3 years? Did you check to see that the idler pulleys and tensioner are are in good condition? These three things will by themselves and in combination will cause the problems you describe. If your belt is old and/ or pulleys are are bad, I would start by spending money and replace them. If you post back please include the model and serial numbers from under the seat, so we can see your exact unit.

Schoquette2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the quick response. I will get the model number when I get home.
what do I look for when checking the pulley’s and tensioner to see if they are bad? belt is much older than 3 yes so I will replace that asap.

Would these things cause the lack of starting without the choke even after the engine is warmed up?

Thanks again and wil post again with model number and what I find !

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Drive belt seems a little loose but seems ok to me really
Replace the belt and check pulleys. Grease away if you have zerks.
it seems I smell gas when it is running.
Pull the oil dip stick and smell for fuel. If you smell fuel on the stick you have a carb problem. Also do NOT run the mower if you smell gas on the stick. Fix the carb and install a shut off valve.
Also, after it has been running for a while when I turn it off and try to crank it immediately after I have to use full choke to get it to start again.
Again confirms dirty carb and or fuel tank issue. Pull the carb and boil clean it. Couple youtube videos on it. Need to pressurize the needle and seat at 7psi for 30 minutes.

Most likely a dirty carb. This should be first on the list to fix instead of replacing spark plugs and air filters.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The drive system will not affect the starting problem. Let’s fix this first, then go after the starting problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All pulleys should be smooth , have no wobble and spin smoothly & quietly
my "evaluation is to remove the spark plug lead(s) & deck
Get under the mower and try to turn the drive belt by pushing on one side & pulling on the other between the clutch pulleys & engine pulley
If the engine can be turned over by the belt it is OK if it slips and can not turn the engine over it is new belt time
Rule of thumb is new pulleys on each second belt replacement as the bearings have a finite life .
Also note carefully where the spring anchors to the frame & the clutch arm
The springs tend to chop the holes and the springs themselves get cut up
Take photos before you pull then off .