YTH2148 - New Engine

stargazerdood

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your replies. I bought a YTH2148 used a few years ago. At some point in its prior life the original engine was replaced. Unfortunately, it is not the same model engine as factory and the label is worn so I cant see the model type etc. I'm having some issues and since I have no idea what Briggs engine I have I am leaning toward replacing the engine for ease of future maint. and the engine currently installed has no oil filter. My question is will the engine in the link work and if so will it mostly work out of the box? I dont have a lot of freetime and need to drop it in and go. This engine has 6 more hp over the factory engine but I would like to get a tiller and snow plow so the extra hp might prove useful. Thank you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Without knowing exact the engine they dropped in or the wrong original engine it will be tough to answer your question. Can you supply us with the model number of the tractor, so we can look up the original engine. Also, take a look at the valve covers, many of the Briggs engines have the model number stamped on them. Make sure that you also look at the bottom of the covers, many times some DIYguys remove them and install them upside down. I’m 99% sure that you will have to install a new muffler if you purchase the engine you posted.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a V twin Briggs in there then the engine numbers are stamped into one of the rocker covers ,
As the covers are identical & symeterical they often get put back ( guilty as charged sir ) upside down or on the wrong side
The first 2 numbers in the model number is the displacement in Cube Inches
Not all of the blocks are identical so while it will drop in and bolt down the muffler may not fit
The muffler is part of the mower, not the engine so it can be a big job to get the wrong muffler to fit
Some have welded on exhaust pipes some have push in pipes
And that engine is currently not available
Go to one of the speciaist sites ike Small Engine Supplies
or
Small engine warehouse

Both deal with superceeded , over supply or production pull engines
So not only are they cheaper , but you get an expert to help you find an engine that will fit easily