Export thread

You MUST See This To Believe It!

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Pretty cook homemade device for testing and maybe even fixing fouled plugs.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

If you really want to test a spark plug you need a tester like this. It is used to test and document aviation plugs. No offense but the box the guy sent taryl is just a spark box. Actually kinda useless an it doesn't test plug under compression.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

If you really want to test a spark plug you need a tester like this. It is used to test and document aviation plugs. No offense but the box the guy sent taryl is just a spark box. Actually kinda useless an it doesn't test plug under compression.

$1865 to test spark plugs?

Taryl's fixed 5 out of 5 of his old fouled out plugs. I'm not sure what compression has to do with the way the plug sparks.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Not to make this a TLDR. Aircraft spark plugs are very expensive.

When doing aircraft annual inspection the plugs have to be tested and documented and the champion machine is what you would use. Overkill for a mower shop where you just change a $2 plug if there is any question vs $$$ to change aircraft plugs.

Plugs that work in air may misfire under compression.

B

bertsmobile1

Back in the bad old days the common trick to clean a carbon fouled plug was to start the engine then run it as fast as it will run then pull the plug leads off 1 at a time and hold them up to 1" off the end of the plug till the engine ran properly

H

Honest Abe

Not to make this a TLDR. Aircraft spark plugs are very expensive.

When doing aircraft annual inspection the plugs have to be tested and documented and the champion machine is what you would use. Overkill for a mower shop where you just change a $2 plug if there is any question vs $$$ to change aircraft plugs.

Plugs that work in air may misfire under compression.
sounds more like the wrong plug is installed if it's misfiring under compression...

H

Honest Abe

Pretty cook homemade device for testing and maybe even fixing fouled plugs.

that guy is a nitwit, i.e. "this was homemade, there's no brand name, etc."; hmmm, maybe he could have just looked at that shiny silver metal manufacturers label under his right hand that says: Jefferson Electric Luminous Tube Transformer. Maybe he should just find himself a real vintage Champion spark plug tester/cleaner. Maybe.....

Attachments

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

sounds more like the wrong plug is installed if it's misfiring under compression...
No.

H

Honest Abe

more compression increases heat and requires colder plug, just say'n...

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Well......... I thought it was neat. Especially the way it seem to fix bad plugs.

H

Honest Abe

I don't necessarily disagree, but for how long. He could have/should have done a bit more of a study. My issue is that he had his finger on the answer all along . . . 🤔