Yardmax YG1650 Push Mower - 170cc Engine

dougand3

Threads
I can't find anything about this engine - all I find is "Yardmax". Is it a Loncin or Predator? I'm looking to buy a new push mower cuz my 25-30yo Tecumsehs are gonna need a major overhaul soon. Anybody experienced these engines? Thanks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Loncin is a manufacturer, Predator is a brand, predator is made by loncin.
I read through the questions on Home depot and someone asked the same question, and Yardmax responded it was made by RATO. https://www.engine-specs.net/rato/rv170.html

It seems to me that Yardmax is just mass produced in china and orange paint and a label added, as there was a mower i saw on amazon that looked very similar to the one you linked, same engine, same foldable storage system and had a ton of bad reviews.

dougand3

Threads
Thanks, Scrubcadet. Good info. Quite a few say "hard to find parts".

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Easy check is to google the mower and see if there is a factory with that name
OR try " who makes Yardmax mowers"
Factories that make good products will want every one on the planet to know this so hey will sell more mowers.
Factories who make junk will hide so no one can sue them.

Chinese factories will supply mowers for as little as $ 45 (US) painted to your specification ex-wharf .
Large retailers trying to make maximum profit will by a container of them which makes them $ 50 landed and sell them to illinformed for $ 100 to $ 200 who think they are getting a bargan.
While they are still being sold warranty is honoured but the instant the warranty period for the last one sold has expired then it is tough luck if you have a problem.
There is no parts warehouse nor parts supply ( they generally take them of returned defective mowers ) so again after warranty has expired. all th left over mower good & bad get auctioned off because auctions as as is where is .
Smae story with most of what Lowes sell and Wallies.

Dad had a saying.
"he who buys cheap pays thrice " and to date is has been found true.
While paying a lot of money is no guarantee of getting quality , paying very little is a guarantee of getting next to nothing .
For the same price you could probably buy a good used known brand mower from a mower repair shop