Yard Man starting issues

Gearjammer

Threads
I'm trying to help a friend with his mower. Its a cannabalized Yard Man with 42" deck and a different 17 hp Briggs powered. Starts and runs fine until its warm and is shut off, then it refuses to start. Acts like some fuel/carb issue, but not very sure what I'm doing. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance. Gearjammer

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm trying to help a friend with his mower. Its a cannabalized Yard Man with 42" deck and a different 17 hp Briggs powered. Starts and runs fine until its warm and is shut off, then it refuses to start. Acts like some fuel/carb issue, but not very sure what I'm doing. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance. Gearjammer

I see two lines of thought on this very common problem.
Loss of fuel or loss of spark

You must determine for sure which, so you can go forward with a repair.
Get an in-line spark tester...it connects to the spark plug like the boot does and the other end looks similar to a spark plug and the mower boot goes on it. In the center it is clear and has an indicating light that flashes when the mower fires. With that you will know for sure the problem is no spark or lose of fuel.

You put it on and go mow...when problem occurs you check to see if you have spark.
You need two for a twin cylinder.

They cost less than $10 at Harbor Freight.

I used mine yesterday and it took me a minute to determine I had spark. So I went on to the next possible problem.